Cell Bio or Genetics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1AO KTG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is more important?

Members don't see this ad.

For the MCAT? Cell bio (though neither is critical)
For med school? Probably cell bio (though either one is a drop in the bucket compared to what you'll encounter)
For life? I thought genetics was more interesting, it seemed to be a promising direction for research in the near future

I personally thought Genetics was more beneficial for the MCAT but not by a lot. However, both go much more in-depth than the MCAT requires and the material can very easily be learned without the course. Do whatever you think is more interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally thought Genetics was more beneficial for the MCAT but not by a lot. However, both go much more in-depth than the MCAT requires and the material can very easily be learned without the course. Do whatever you think is more interesting.

Material can be learned without the course? Well damn. I'll pick higher MCAT score over more interesting any day.

For some reason my school has Genetics as a prereq to Cell Bio. Is there a lot of genetics interwoven into Cell?

Material can be learned without the course? Well damn. I'll pick higher MCAT score over more interesting any day.

Well in that case genetics will guarantee a 34 while cell bio will guarantee a 37. You really think one course will have a substantial benefit and automatically give you a higher score. Well damn.

Is there a lot of genetics interwoven into Cell?

Cell bio covered the mechanistic aspects (transcription, translation, nucleotide metabolism, mutation/repair, recombination, transcriptional regulation, etc). Genetics covered all of that as well as population genetics (Hardy-Weinberg), inheritance patterns, expression (penetrance, expressivity, dominance, etc), pedigree charts, clinically relevant genes, epigenetics, and a bunch of other stuff.

For some reason my school has Genetics as a prereq to Cell Bio. Is there a lot of genetics interwoven into Cell?

Yeah Genetics is a pre-req for Cell/Molec Bio in my university as well. And yeah I would think Genetics is WAY more useful for the MCAT but then with the 2015 changes, Cell would be more useful then correct?

But if you're talking about which is more important in general, definitely Genetics. You need Genetics overall to understand higher biological sciences like Microbiology and Cell, whereas Cell/Molec bio really gets you into the research side of biology and medicine if you're interested, but it's not required I don't think.

Well in that case genetics will guarantee a 34 while cell bio will guarantee a 37. Do you really think one course will really automatically give you a higher score?

Ha ha, of course not. However I pay attention to every variable in preparing for it. However now that you have told me the material can be learned without a professor and auditorium, I guess it doesn't really matter huh? Been stressing for no reason.

Ha ha, of course not. However I pay attention to every variable in preparing for it. However now that you have told me the material can be learned without a professor and auditorium, I guess it doesn't really matter huh? Been stressing for no reason.

Well you are going to stress a lot more in the future if you are going to choose a class that has the slightest chance of even helping the slightest bit rather than enjoyment. What I'm trying to say is that you already have taken General Bio (or you will need to) and the Genetics and Cell bio info on the MCAT could be learned in a couple of days using Examkrackers or whatever MCAT prep book with your bio background. Why spend all that time on a class you don't enjoy when you can learn the MCAT material for that subject in a couple of days?

Cell bio is pre-req for Genetics at my school.

My cell course is 95% the same material covered in my Exam Krackers book, in slightly different order.