Cell bio, physics, and microbiology all in 1 semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

protonate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey sdners!
I am having a dilemna on coursework and am seeking some advice. I am planning to prepare for the MCAT nxt summer, and want to take some upper level courses so that the preparation would b efficient.
I already have all the chems, bio1+2, genetics, and nxt year will take physics1+2, cell bio, microbiology, and mammalian physiology.
Now the thing is it is recommended to take cell bio b4 mammalian physiology, and so I was thinking of taking physics1, cell bio, and micobiology (=3 lab sciences) in the fall and nothing else so i can dedicate 15 hours/week on each of those classes, and physics2, mammalian physiology lecture+lab, and other fill in courses during the spring before I prepare for the MCAT.
Now my question to you guys is do you think that 3 lab sciences in a semester is manageable if those are the only classes that I take?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey sdners!
I am having a dilemna on coursework and am seeking some advice. I am planning to prepare for the MCAT nxt summer, and want to take some upper level courses so that the preparation would b efficient.
I already have all the chems, bio1+2, genetics, and nxt year will take physics1+2, cell bio, microbiology, and mammalian physiology.
Now the thing is it is recommended to take cell bio b4 mammalian physiology, and so I was thinking of taking physics1, cell bio, and micobiology (=3 lab sciences) in the fall and nothing else so i can dedicate 15 hours/week on each of those classes, and physics2, mammalian physiology lecture+lab, and other fill in courses during the spring before I prepare for the MCAT.
Now my question to you guys is do you think that 3 lab sciences in a semester is manageable if those are the only classes that I take?

Thanks in advance

By far the biggest pre-med misconception is that upper level science courses are required for MCAT prep. The MCAT is not like your normal science test -- its a thinking test. If theres some convoluted microbiology/ecology/biochemistry concept in a passage, the odds are that, with basic introductory biology and human physiology knowledge, you'll be able to answer the question. The answers are all hidden in the passage. There really is minimal fact regurgitation on the MCAT, so take what you're interested in with the understanding that it won't benefit you too much on the MCAT

It depends on your personal learning methods I think.

Persoanlly, I took cellbio, microbio, genetics and biochem in one semester. I would never know whether I would be able to take them in one semester if I didn't try to, regardless of what people told me before I took the semester. It was a new experience and I learned to adapt and improve my ways of learning along the way.

If you feel unsure whether you can take the semester, then I think it will definitely be a challenge and you will have to find new ways to manage your studying to do well. Hopefully you can evolve your learning method during the semester and do well. But there is always the risk of not doing as well as you wanted to. The bigger the reward the bigger the risk. As a result, I think only you can know if you are ready to take the risk/challenge to take on a challenging semester. Hope this helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Very manageable, I took Physics I with lab, Micro with lab, embryology with lab and Organic 1 with lab the same semester and got a 4.0

I thought that taking 3 science classes like those in one semester was the norm for any biology, chemistry, or biochemstry major? Am I wrong?

I had 3 upper level sciences (some with lab, some without lab) every fall and spring semester of my junior and senior years. I guess I was doing it wrong?

as someone else said, it depends on YOU and what you are like...i hated the idea of taking three bio classes/sciences at the same time so i split them up (including summers). one semester i actually did 4 sciences.....it was rough. be prepared.

I think if you can manage your time well, very possible. Managing your time effectively is the challenge.

I thought that taking 3 science classes like those in one semester was the norm for any biology, chemistry, or biochemstry major? Am I wrong?

I had 3 upper level sciences (some with lab, some without lab) every fall and spring semester of my junior and senior years. I guess I was doing it wrong?

You were doing it wrong, need to be taking 4-5 classes like me, J/K. I have heard that same thing before but I find it easier to take all upper division science classes. A lot of material overlaps and reinforces other classes. Plus I don't have to take away time to study or attend a class that I don't care about.

Get used to it. You should take a look at the med school curricula.

You were doing it wrong, need to be taking 4-5 classes like me, J/K. I have heard that same thing before but I find it easier to take all upper division science classes. A lot of material overlaps and reinforces other classes. Plus I don't have to take away time to study or attend a class that I don't care about.

I think I might have taken 4-5 upper level sciences if I had the choice (unless they had labs...i hate the way labs are graded at my school)...But i was required to take two english classes, two international studies classes, two arts classes, etc.

Yeah, why not? It's definitely manageable - I think many people do this.

There is nothing out of the ordinary here.