cell biology and biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mastamark

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how important it is for me to take Cell biolgy and biochem 1 and 2 before taking the MCAT. I will have Physics, orgo, and biology by next spring. I was wondering if I should postpone until I take those other courses.

Members don't see this ad.

mastamark said:
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how important it is for me to take Cell biolgy and biochem 1 and 2 before taking the MCAT. I will have Physics, orgo, and biology by next spring. I was wondering if I should postpone until I take those other courses.

It would be very helpful for the biological section, especially if that is a weak point. Genetics and Population genetics would also be very helpful to you. I've heard ppl say that they had a lot of orgo on the test, but I did not and the break down is supposed to be around 77% Bio and 33% orgo. Biochem was very helpful for me and some others I know that took the test with me.

Definitely take biochem because it will be helpful when it comes to metabolics on the MCAT. As for Cell Bio, it can be useful but not as much at biochem. Much of the information needed to answer questions will be in the passage but understanding the passage is the problem. Having background information from such classes as Cell Bio and Biochem will make it easer understanding such passages and will decrease time needed to read a passage. I say if you have time to take Cell bio and biochem and even an immunology class, go for it. They will be helpful down the line. GOOD LUCK.

I didn't take Biochem. It's not necessary but it helps, but so does any bio course.

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't need biochem. i understood the biology section without it and just used the stuff from a prep course. cell bio was helpful because the test is mainly cell bio and then organ systems. genetics really isn't important actually maybe its luck of the draw. but its mainly punnet squares and recessive and dominance stuff. every class helps but you can be fine without any of them.

mastamark said:
Hello all,

i took cell bio and biochem 1 and i think that if you do have the time take both. Cell bio is i think better for the mcat than biochem. Biochem certainly helps with anything pertaining to metabolism but cell bio covers a better variety of topics relevant for the mcat...good luck! :)

EBI831 said:
you don't need biochem. i understood the biology section without it and just used the stuff from a prep course. cell bio was helpful because the test is mainly cell bio and then organ systems. genetics really isn't important actually maybe its luck of the draw. but its mainly punnet squares and recessive and dominance stuff. every class helps but you can be fine without any of them.

For some odd reason, I had population genetics on my first test and my second very little, just some matching for RNA off of a DNA. So yea, it's pretty much luck of the draw. Biochem was a big help though.

Biochem is somewhat important, but all from biochem you need to know you can memorize in a matter of hours. GENETICS GENETICS GENETICS... I pulled off very high Diag grades without genetics, but when it came time for the real thing half the test was genetics. I wanted to cry. I was so well prepared but not for some of these questions, much more advanced in genetics than I was prepared for. My specialty is orgo (as if you couldnt guess), and I have maybe 10%. Genetics, cell bio (not as much), biochem (not as much) all help.

medic11306 said:
It would be very helpful for the biological section, especially if that is a weak point. Genetics and Population genetics would also be very helpful to you. I've heard ppl say that they had a lot of orgo on the test, but I did not and the break down is supposed to be around 77% Bio and 33% orgo. Biochem was very helpful for me and some others I know that took the test with me.

that would be 110%

If you have a chance to take both before the MCAT, i'd do that. If not, I would recommend going with cell biology. You may see biochem topics on the mcat, but not in such a way that you would have needed to see the material beforehand. Would it have helped? Yea. But not vital.

BigKurz said:
If you have a chance to take both before the MCAT, i'd do that. If not, I would recommend going with cell biology. You may see biochem topics on the mcat, but not in such a way that you would have needed to see the material beforehand. Would it have helped? Yea. But not vital.

Biochem is not required, like others have posted. That said, Biochem is a subject that really brings together the biology experience in a really synthetic way. It integrates everything from cell bio, to O-chem, to A&P, and even genetics. I took it as the capstone to my undergrad degree. Very helpful.

I'm taking the August MCAT, and have done a couple practice tests and throughout my studying i didn't really feel like I was worse off not taking biochem. Cell Bio and Genetics i'd say are VERY IMPORTANT! If you know your orgo well, it really helps tho its not a big portion of the section. But a good review bio book should be good for the biochem, because it isn't too much detail stuff.

This year, I took Microbiology 1 and 2, Organic 1 and 2, and Biochem 1 and 2. Having taken the 2nd part of all of those courses made the first part of all of those courses considerably easier. Luckily, the MCAT only tests the stuff I learned in the first part. So, taking biochem helps a lot. I wish I had taken Genetics 1 as well, but I took Statistics 1 instead. I didn't take Human phys, so I am going to have study quite a bit for that stuff. But biochem stuff on the MCAT seems like a joke.