Cell Biology and Molecular Biology = Same thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude6756

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took molecular biology in college, and the pharmacy schools I applied to have cell biology as a prerequisite. I was looking at some community college courses and they have course titles listed as "cell and molecular biology." Is that the same thing? Does that mean they are both the same? Do you think I still need to take cell biology if I already took molecular biology?

Members don't see this ad.

So I took molecular biology in college, and the pharmacy schools I applied to have cell biology as a prerequisite. I was looking at some community college courses and they have course titles listed as "cell and molecular biology." Is that the same thing? Does that mean they are both the same? Do you think I still need to take cell biology if I already took molecular biology?

I believe Molec biology is more DNA/RNA/etc more biochemistry type of course.

Cell biology i think is more like cell physiology. learn about organelles, cytoskeleton, molecular motors, etc

cell bio and molecular bio are definitely not the same class. I have seen them integrated like the class you mentioned at the cc and that class might fill the cell bio requirement but I highly doubt molecular bio alone will

Members don't see this ad :)
they should really rename molecular biology as "genetic biochemistry" or something like that.

In your opinion, which is easier?

I have the same question, I think.

I took this course:

"Description: This course introduces universal biological principles, including biological molecules, enzymes, cell structure and function, biochemistry, Mendelian and molecular genetics, ecology and evolution. BIOL 400 is recommended for science majors and students in pre-professional programs."

And it's called "Principles of Biology"

So... it's NOT cell & molecular Biology?

I have the same question, I think.

I took this course:

"Description: This course introduces universal biological principles, including biological molecules, enzymes, cell structure and function, biochemistry, Mendelian and molecular genetics, ecology and evolution. BIOL 400 is recommended for science majors and students in pre-professional programs."

And it's called "Principles of Biology"

So... it's NOT cell & molecular Biology?

No. That is not CMB.

It doesn't...really sound like any logical sequence of concepts, actually.

It doesn't...really sound like any logical sequence of concepts, actually.

LoL. Sure it does. It sounds like an general biology class, and the name is a total give away.

LoL. Sure it does. It sounds like an general biology class, and the name is a total give away.

Yeah, but the biochem and enzymes? That's...not part of any general bio that I've ever taken. The rest of it, though, definitely.

Yeah, but the biochem and enzymes? That's...not part of any general bio that I've ever taken. The rest of it, though, definitely.

Hmm really? I learned basic photosynthesis and respiration in general bio. Krebs, glycolysis, photosynthesis, electron transport, proton gradient, etc. etc. Definitely not to the extent of biochemistry. I even knew some professors teaching the same class the same semester making students memorize the structure and class of the amino acids.

Hmm really? I learned basic photosynthesis and respiration in general bio. Krebs, glycolysis, photosynthesis, electron transport, proton gradient, etc. etc. Definitely not to the extent of biochemistry. I even knew some professors teaching the same class the same semester making students memorize the structure and class of the amino acids.

In my general bio classes, we discussed them and learned about them, but not in a specific way - in a general way, i.e. "proton gradient is built by electron transport." In CMB and biochem, we actually learned about the electron carriers, the complexes, where the electrons came from, each step, etc.

In my general bio classes, we discussed them and learned about them, but not in a specific way - in a general way, i.e. "proton gradient is built by electron transport." In CMB and biochem, we actually learned about the electron carriers, the complexes, where the electrons came from, each step, etc.

Exactly. Intro to biochem, so the description isn't that random. LoL. This thread became suddenly very off topic. Nice talking to you though.

To the OP, just ask the school. I'm sure that will clear up any confusion you have.

Where are you applying? The reason I'm asking is because, usually one semester of gen bio is called "cell and molecular" and the next semester is "organismal". Usually if the school requires Molecular Biology they are referring to the class that is strictly molecular bio (for example USC requires this). This class is usually a senior level class. It is WAY more molecular than what you learn in general bio.

Molecular: DNA, RNA, Genetics
Cell: Cell processes, cytoskeleton, repair mechanisms, mitosis
Biochemistry: Proteins