Cell Biology = Microbiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harkkam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took cell bio in my school and they dont offer a class termed microbiology I was wondering if this seems like what could classify as Microbiology.

COURSE PREFIX: BIOL COURSE NUMBER: 286
COURSE TITLE: Principles of Cell Biology
SUBJECT: Biology
MINIMUM CREDITS: 3.0 MAXIMUM CREDITS: 3.0HOURS PER WEEK: 3.0
COURSE DESCRIPTION:
Structure, function, and regulation of cells, including cell cycle, subcellular compartmentalization, signal transduction, and cell-cell interactions.
PREREQUISITE: CHEM 114, or equivalent.

Members don't see this ad.

Hm...that sounds more like just cell bio...I think microbio is more bacteria based? Might also be called Bacteriology? Microbio description should read more like this:

Survey of the biology of microorganisms. Topics include microbial structure, physiology, genetics, and evolution; virology; environmental microbiology; the immune system; and microbial pathogens and disease transmission.

Source: UC Davis registrar.

I took both cell and micro biology and most of the contents are different. And I believe most school requires micro bio with lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was in the same situation.. i took cell bio, and not micro.. some schools MAY accept it, but some may not... I decided to go ahead and take it though, b/c I didn't want any issues.

At the end though, they will still recommend that you take Micro..

Agreed. It's not the same. Micro does cover more bacteria/virus type of stuff that cell bio doesn't focus as much on.

I'm a micro and imm major

Def not the same

the cell bio course you describe is kind of a basis/lays the groundwork to learn about microbio subjects...as in you needa now how basic signal transduction cell signaling etc. works, and then you can apply those principles to the more specific, diverse and unique aspects of how micro organisms interact with each other and human cells

I took cell bio in my school and they dont offer a class termed microbiology I was wondering if this seems like what could classify as Microbiology.

COURSE PREFIX: BIOL COURSE NUMBER: 286
COURSE TITLE: Principles of Cell Biology
SUBJECT: Biology
MINIMUM CREDITS: 3.0 MAXIMUM CREDITS: 3.0HOURS PER WEEK: 3.0
COURSE DESCRIPTION:
Structure, function, and regulation of cells, including cell cycle, subcellular compartmentalization, signal transduction, and cell-cell interactions.
PREREQUISITE: CHEM 114, or equivalent.

Nope, not really. Much safer to call admissions as well, but micro is much more organism/chemical based