Cell Biology or Pathophysiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runningdude

It's all downhill
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only have one more semester before I graduate and the only class that I have to take this fall is Biochemistry. I would like advice on what classes will best prepare me for medical school? I have already done 2 anatomy classes and 2 physiology classes.

The classes I am trying to decide between are Cell Biology, Pathophysiology, Calculus (two schools out of the 28 I have applied to require this class). Are there any other classes that would be good prep?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I only have one more semester before I graduate and the only class that I have to take this fall is Biochemistry. I would like advice on what classes will best prepare me for medical school? I have already done 2 anatomy classes and 2 physiology classes.

The classes I am trying to decide between are Cell Biology, Pathophysiology, Calculus (two schools out of the 28 I have applied to require this class). Are there any other classes that would be good prep?

Thanks!

Stats (or biostats if offered). Will go a long way to helping read scientific literature, and besides, a good familiarity with statistics is just useful life knowledge

Why do you think you need to "prep" for medical school?

ProTip: if it's important, they will teach it to you in medical school. The emphasis in undergrad vs medical school classes is so different that you will gain a day, at most a day and a half over your medical school peers. In a four year curriculum.

Take whatever class starts at 1pm. That way you can sleep until noon, and still make happy hour.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you think you need to "prep" for medical school?

ProTip: if it's important, they will teach it to you in medical school. The emphasis in undergrad vs medical school classes is so different that you will gain a day, at most a day and a half over your medical school peers. In a four year curriculum.

Take whatever class starts at 1pm. That way you can sleep until noon, and still make happy hour.

Ha, so if it is really that way than I should take Biochemistry and just sleep the rest of the day? :D Oh wait I have a baby, so sleep is non-existent.

So really, taking Pathophysiology, Cell Biology, or similar science classes won't really benefit me much?

If I were you, I'd take either cell bio or biostats. from those two, maybe biostats is more useful. The cell bio (pretty cool IMO) you will get to eventually. But biostats i feel is currently undervalued in the med school curricula, yet it is a tremendously important class. Can't fully assess a study or any other paper with data if you don't know what those numbers are really showing

If I were you, I'd take either cell bio or biostats. from those two, maybe biostats is more useful. The cell bio (pretty cool IMO) you will get to eventually. But biostats i feel is currently undervalued in the med school curricula, yet it is a tremendously important class. Can't fully assess a study or any other paper with data if you don't know what those numbers are really showing

+1. Great minds...