Cell Biology Vs. Molecular Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if cell bio or molecular bio (both are four hundred level courses) would help in taking the MCAT? If yes (obviously), which one is better??

Members don't see this ad.

For me personally, I didnt think either was really that emphasize strongly in the mcat. Yeah, it helps if you take it, but I think physiology was more covered on the mcat.

pacboy said:
For me personally, I didnt think either was really that emphasize strongly in the mcat. Yeah, it helps if you take it, but I think physiology was more covered on the mcat.

The MCAT is always gonna be different for me there was very little of the typical human physiology stuff (ie systems stuff). I think it is wise for any serious pre-med to take a cell bio or cell physiology course, molecular biology and biochemistry. Having a complex knowledge of biochem, molecular and immunology really helped me rock my bio section, and without that background I would have been a little confused as it seemed that last years test covered lots of stuff the typical PR or Kaplan course taker would have just barely skimmed...take the courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! Do you think its worth waiting an extra year to take these courses (molecualr bio, physio , etc) and then take the MCAT while risking the possibilty of forgetting what I have learned in intro science courses needed for the MCAT and having to review them more.

I think if you feel that you are ready to take it now, I think you should go for it. Remember that starting next year MCAT is going to be computerized.

I took both classes and I found them both to be helpful for my MCAT prep. I wouldn't wait (if you have time in your schedule). I would just spread them out into different qtrs/semesters. Molecular Biology was a good review of Cell Biology for me. :luck:

Do you really need all those extra classes on top of the regular premed stuff? I'm a history major so I can't take lots of extra bio classes :(

bigred001 said:
Do you really need all those extra classes on top of the regular premed stuff? I'm a history major so I can't take lots of extra bio classes :(

No, you only need the bare minimum to do well on the MCAT and to get accepted to medical school.

deuist said:
No, you only need the bare minimum to do well on the MCAT and to get accepted to medical school.

What about doing well in med school? I'm worried that I'm going to get owned because everyone else will have much more science experience than me.

bigred001 said:
What about doing well in med school? I'm worried that I'm going to get owned because everyone else will have much more science experience than me.
you should ask in the allopathic forum. they would answer the question more appropriately.

i'm a molecular bio major that took cell bio. what does a course titled molecular bio teach you? my cell bio class was all kinases and cellular pathways and stuff. i'd say neither would help at all on the mcat. on the other hand, biochem would be helpful, and in retrospect physiology and immunology classes that i just took would have been really helpful.