cell phone plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know which cell phone plan (sprint, at&t, cingular, verizon) has the best reception around Finch (North Chicago/Chicago area)?

how about around NYMC (Valhalla/NYC)?

Members don't see this ad.

I used my Sprint cell phone at Finch AND in the Woodland apartments and it was perfectly clear. :clap: It was also fine on the entire car ride from the airport in Chicago to North Chicago. Sprint is good b/c it works basically everywhere with no roaming charges.

hey c33: i live in valhalla (actually on campus) and verizon or at&t work the best. sprint doesn't work in any of the dorm buildings. hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks Dra. Foxy and CityIvy...

How about Cingular? I found this pretty good deal for Cingular National Plan...so was wondering how good it is in those two areas?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by c33:
•thanks Dra. Foxy and CityIvy...

How about Cingular? I found this pretty good deal for Cingular National Plan...so was wondering how good it is in those two areas?•••••You should find fair reception with cingular in the midwest but Verizon and Sprint networks beat cingular and AT&T hands down. I have had Sprint PCS for a few years now and they will be the first ones to deploy the 3G network in the US. Verizon will follow soon after. The 3G network will expand data transfer capability giving you DSL like speeds unlike current phones that go as fast as 14.4kbs(much much slower).3G will also handle high cell phone traffic much better which translates into fewer dropped calls. But you gotta be careful because not many phones out there are 3G compatible. Verizon will revamp their phone inventory in a few months that will include many 3G compatible phones. I have also heard rumors that AT&T wireless were going to toss out their old TDMA technology and adapt GSM into their network and having some sort of partnership with cingular and you dont want to get caught up in that mess just yet. My suggestion, stick to Verizon or Sprint and you will be fine.

If anyone here is from New Haven, can you recommend the best plan/service for New Haven? I think I'm going to be commuting from NY to CT alot, so anything that works in both areas w/o roaming charges would be helpful.

Thanks for the help,

Sorry to piggyback your topic, but does anyone happen to know the name of that cell phone company that offers unlimited usage for $35.00?

How about around Albany? anyone know of a good plan around albany, NY? thanks

For those moving to the "windy city"...just a heads up, SPRINT absolutely sucks here, I had it for a year and got rid of it as soon as my contract ran up. Last year I would have to walk outisde my apt. building to use my cell phone--definitely something you don't want to put up with come wintertime in chicago. Sprint blames the bad signal on all of the "extremely tall skyscrapers" in the city...I have two words Nex-Tel, i haven't had one dropped call yet and I get a signal anywhere---they have a free-incoming call plan which is great!