Cellular Biology offered in Summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude6756

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know of any community colleges or any other colleges in California (preferably Bay Area) that usually offer cellular biology in the summer? I was just accepted to pharmacy school last week, and I've been trying to sign up for cellular biology, but it's either filled up or it conflicts with my other classes for Spring Semester. I'm getting worried now that if I can't take it in the summer, my admission will be revoked. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i thought most schools would not accept summer classes. Make sure u double check on that

Try and talk to your advisor and/or the instructor over the course and let them know your situation. I'm sure you can get in one way or another

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Yay area resident.
I'm in a pre-pharmacy program and I'm allowed to take chemistry, organic and general outside of the school I'm in. I also got out of biology with my AP exam, etc. so I do think that they'll accept your credit, however, I cannot be certain. Please refer to your school's policy for more information or send an e-mail to one of the staff in the admissions office for confirmation.

Diablo Valley College has many, many classes though I'm not sure if they have cellular biology. They're in Pleasant Hill and San Ramon. Check their course catalog at www.dvc.edu

Also check out Las Positas in Livermore.

Berkeley has an extension program which may also offer credit. Bear in mind though that it may cost you $600 per class.

Hope that helps.

***So I checked the dvc catalog, and they have principles of cellular and molecular biology. I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for, but be sure to read the description.

Thanks for the help bro, I was actually looking at that DVC course, but the only one they offer that doesn't interfere with my current schedule is already full, plus my registration window for DVC won't open for a week, so I don't know if I'll have a shot to get in that one. I'm gonna look into that Berkeley extension. I think UC Santa Cruz might also offer it in the summer, I'm crossing my fingers.

i thought most schools would not accept summer classes. Make sure u double check on that

Never heard of this before. I took two Ochem courses in summer and all of my schools accepted them.

Thanks for the help bro, I was actually looking at that DVC course, but the only one they offer that doesn't interfere with my current schedule is already full, plus my registration window for DVC won't open for a week, so I don't know if I'll have a shot to get in that one. I'm gonna look into that Berkeley extension. I think UC Santa Cruz might also offer it in the summer, I'm crossing my fingers.

How far are you willing to travel? There's an assload of CC's out here in the Sac/Roseville/Folsom area. I would check if they offered the course but I'm on a dialup connection and ya...ish is slow.

Never heard of this before. I took two Ochem courses in summer and all of my schools accepted them.
sorry let me make my self clearer. What i meant was that you can not take any courses the summer before your entrance into pharmacy school. I have taken many summer classes in the pass so i know they accept it. But they close ur file once...let say the end of Spring of 2009 for the incoming class of fall 2009 classes. Because many schools that i ve research will do this.

sorry let me make my self clearer. What i meant was that you can not take any courses the summer before your entrance into pharmacy school. I have taken many summer classes in the pass so i know they accept it. But they close ur file once...let say the end of Spring of 2009 for the incoming class of fall 2009 classes. Because many schools that i ve research will do this.

Gotcha. Never heard of that either but that's a good point and that would blow.

To the OP: You might want to look for a school on the quarter system as this will give you additional chances. You will have Winter and Spring quarter still to chose from whereas at a semester school you only have one more shot. UCD offers the course, you can take it through the open campus program...but it's going to cost you something like $188/unit. A rip, but worth saving an admission.

Most schools say that but I think most schools will make an exception for you if you've been accepted into the program. I know someone who took the second half of OChem the summer before school started and the school that she goes to specifically states, on their website, that they don't take grades after the spring quarter/semester.

One would think schools would not allow this since OChem is such an important class but an exception was made. :shrug:

Check the CA virtual college website.

Actually, most schools do let you take classes in the summer before you begin pharmacy school, heck I'm doing that now, and the pharmacy school I was accepted to knew that before they offered me admission. I let them know in the application, because I was working and I already received my B.S. before I applied. Thanks for everyone's help, I'll look into a quarter system school.

How far are you willing to travel? There's an assload of CC's out here in the Sac/Roseville/Folsom area. I would check if they offered the course but I'm on a dialup connection and ya...ish is slow.

-

Last edited:
Actually, most schools do let you take classes in the summer before you begin pharmacy school, heck I'm doing that now, and the pharmacy school I was accepted to knew that before they offered me admission. I let them know in the application, because I was working and I already received my B.S. before I applied. Thanks for everyone's help, I'll look into a quarter system school.

Have you looked into UC Davis?