Ceramics or Sculpturing Class to Develop Manual Dexterity and Artistic Skills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoxerRumble

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I'll be going to dental school next Fall, very excited about that! For the Spring, I'll be taking a course to fulfill a pre-req, but would also like to take some fun classes. I've decided on a basketball class at the community college and thought I would take up either ceramics or sculpturing to develop my artistic and fine hand skills.

Which one would benefit more in terms of dental procedure and work, ceramics or sculpturing? They are both intro classes. I took ceramics in high school and enjoyed it quite a bit, but my stuff always turned out sloppy and looked ugly. If I take ceramics again, I would definitely spend more time and be more careful and precise with the clay. I'm not exactly sure what sculpting will entail, what I will be making, and if I'll enjoy it. Anyone have any opinions or experience? I guess either will do but wondering if one will help a lot more in dentistry.

I've waxed a complete tooth and have done fillings with composite and amalgam (on a model), and I feel one of these classes will definitely help. I can probably even make clay models of teeth if the teachers let's us do whatever. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to develop hand skills then take a jewelry making class. They use the same exact instruments... believe it or not.

+1 for the jewelry class. That, or just take the one that sounds more fun.

On a side note, I am left handed, and am a little worried about that. I know that it won't really effect much, but I still can't help but think about how my assistants will likely be right handed, so that might make it awkward for me when I am learning. So, I am teaching myself to write with my right hand just so can build my right handed manual dexterity. Its more of a "for fun thing" that a serious thing. Its easy because before class starts most days, I am just sitting there writing the same thing over and over again with my right hand lol. I guess my point is, I don't know how much manual dexterity you can learn from only 1 class, so I would not worry much about it. Take the class you think will be more fun! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Between the two I'd pick ceramics but if you really want to get a jumpstart on your skills start practicing your indirect vision.

Also, I wouldn't do too many teeth until you take tooth morphology. You don't want to develop bad habits.

+1 for the jewelry class. That, or just take the one that sounds more fun.

On a side note, I am left handed, and am a little worried about that. I know that it won't really effect much, but I still can't help but think about how my assistants will likely be right handed, so that might make it awkward for me when I am learning. So, I am teaching myself to write with my right hand just so can build my right handed manual dexterity. Its more of a "for fun thing" that a serious thing. Its easy because before class starts most days, I am just sitting there writing the same thing over and over again with my right hand lol. I guess my point is, I don't know how much manual dexterity you can learn from only 1 class, so I would not worry much about it. Take the class you think will be more fun! :thumbup:

Funny, I've been doing the exact same thing.

Ceramics is a lot of fun! Be sure to sign up for a handbuilding course instead of throwing if hand skills is what you're after, but either is a really nice, relaxing way to spend your time that will help your artistic eye. Sculpture classes generally have you working on a larger scale and different media that don't always require the finesse needed with clay. I've done both for years purely for enjoyment and would encourage anyone to take it up as a hobby.

Funny to hear about the lefties learning to be righties! My dentist uncle, who is naturally right-handed, taught himself to use his left hand as well so that he could have an easier time hitting certain angles with the drill. Scares the crap out of patients when they see him do it for the first time, but he's never made a mistake. I've been trying to use my left hand more, but I think for now maybe I should just worry about not stabbing anyone's mouth with my dominant hand.

I would say ceramics is more fun!! I took a sculpture class and mine was really abstract stayed away from realism so that was a lot less fun for me. haha but of the three I like the idea of jewelry making the best - def is the most relevant to dentistry close up intricate hand work!

I would say ceramics is more fun!! I took a sculpture class and mine was really abstract stayed away from realism so that was a lot less fun for me. haha but of the three I like the idea of jewelry making the best - def is the most relevant to dentistry close up intricate hand work!

Jewelry making is beyond close, its practically the same thing. Had a pt come in one day and she was like hey! that looks incredibly similar to what we use in jewelry making.

In order for you to make a ring and etc... it requires you to wax it up first ;) Am almost sure that if you had that on your application, your interviewer will be very impressed haha!

I dont think Sculpturing class will help you with your manual dexterity. I took it and it has nothing to do with dexterity.
Although, it helped my GPA at the end lol

Studying for the PAT may help.

Where is Seattlesun? She makes some pretty damn good jewelry lol :thumbup:

Thanks for all the replies. The two beginners jewelry making class was full and the other ones needed a pre-req or else I would've signed up for it. There was only one class open for ceramics which is on a campus much further away but I signed up for it anyways.

+1 for jewelry, it is much more tedious and precision oriented.

Also, there was a very old thread i came across a while back, that i cannot find for the life of me right now. Anyway it was a dental student explaining that the best thing to do to practice manual dexterity for dental school would be taping about 6-8 quarters on the end of a pencil (simulating the weight of a drill). You would then hold the pencil in one of the 5 major hand positions that dentists generally use for drilling and try to draw very small circles, squares, triangles, etc, the size of cavities. Then you had to fill in the shape without going outside the lines. When you could do this quickly and accurately in any the positions you would be the best prepared you could be for dental school.

The poster had pictures of how to do it and everything, it was awesome, sorry i can't find it. But my above description should do it for you, you just have to find out the hand positions.

Where is Seattlesun? She makes some pretty damn good jewelry lol :thumbup:

Thanks Bereno!
was surprised to see my name pop up. BTW, I'm a southpaw too. :thumbup: I heard that assistants love working for lefty dentists because they get to use their dominant hand...although, it probably take a little time to get used to us at the beginning.

To the OP:

About what to do for hand skills: do something you think you might like. I took a pottery class for fun and really loved it. If you think a second class for you might give you a different experience that the first time in HS than go for it. Or you can try anything else: sculpture, painting, jewelry, 1-inch miniatures, airplane/ship models...For those Seattleites that want to start some wire-bending and bead-stringing PM me and we can meet and start you up with some basic techniques if interested.

Or how about working in a dental lab as an model technician (entry position), pouring some models and articulating them. If they see that you care and have your wits about you they may even give you some instructions in waxing. Plus you get to know more about the field. I worked for a long time as a dental tech before deciding to get a bachelor and apply to dental school. If you have questions about dental lab, again do PM me.

For myself, after winter quarter graduation, would like to try glass blowing. I saw how it's done at the Tacoma Glass Museum and I'm in love. I need to figure out how I can get into a studio. I also want to continue with the pottery, I know there are a few studios around town that let you spend unlimited time in the studio for a fixed cost, but space in the furnace is extra.

Last edited: