Certificate from JHU/Columbia Vs. MSc or MA from RF, BU, Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skalant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was about to start medical school at the Caribbean's, however recently found out about SMP's. At this point I am really confused whether it would be better to study a year to get a certificate from a high ranked school or a master degree from one of RF/BU/Tufts. I have cGPA of 3.6 and MCAT of 29M. I am going to retake MCAT by this summer and hoping to boost it to some where between 32 and 34.
In terms of both MD admission as well as residency matching which one of these paths would you recommend? and within the path, can you suggest any of the schools? For example, SMP, and suggesting BU.
Since I am Canadian and I can not get any federal funding, the school expenses is one of my top priorities but of course not to the point that would harm my future ambitions.

Thank you all for your time in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need a smp, you need to improve your mcat.

Hey Guys,

I was about to start medical school at the Caribbean's, however recently found out about SMP's. At this point I am really confused whether it would be better to study a year to get a certificate from a high ranked school or a master degree from one of RF/BU/Tufts. I have cGPA of 3.6 and MCAT of 29M. I am going to retake MCAT by this summer and hoping to boost it to some where between 32 and 34.
In terms of both MD admission as well as residency matching which one of these paths would you recommend? and within the path, can you suggest any of the schools? For example, SMP, and suggesting BU.
Since I am Canadian and I can not get any federal funding, the school expenses is one of my top priorities but of course not to the point that would harm my future ambitions.

Thank you all for your time in advance

Are you planning on applying to Canadian MD schools or American, and in whcih province do you have residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you planning on applying to Canadian MD schools or American, and in whcih province do you have residency?

Thank you guys for the prompt reply. I wud rather apply to Canadian, but If I have an admission for an American one, I wont waste another year for a Canadian medical school. I am from Ontario, and tho haven't finalized my decision on residency, but don't wanna close (or decrease my chances to get) my options by going to Caribbean's.

You don't need a smp, you need to improve your mcat.

Since I am still an international applicant, my 3.6 cGPA is probably 3.4 from an American applicant. I did apply to SUNY, Howard, Meharry, NYMC and did not even get an interview, (well I applied really late, by late November). I just don't want to waste another yr waiting while I can get a Masters degree within a year. hope that makes sense :S

Since I am still an international applicant, my 3.6 cGPA is probably 3.4 from an American applicant. I did apply to SUNY, Howard, Meharry, NYMC and did not even get an interview, (well I applied really late, by late November). I just don't want to waste another yr waiting while I can get a Masters degree within a year. hope that makes sense :S

I think it's a waste of money and an unnecessary risk with no potential reward. Your problem was applying late, not low stats. A SMP won't help you. Fix the problem.