Certificate NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to find some helpful info for my mom. She just finished a 2 yr NP certificate program through UCLA and is currently looking for a position. She has found out that she is unable to apply for a medicare number since she doesn't have a master's. Effective Jan 2003, you must have a MSN in order to receive a medicare number! She was just 6 mos from completing her program! She is now looking into other master's NP programs that will acknowledge her preceptoring/clinicals so she can satisfy the medicare guidelines. I think it is quite unfair that she has worked her arse off the last 2 years and is now back to square one!! Does anyone know of perhaps a grandfather clause or other way around this? I feel so bad for her...she's worked so hard for this and was sooo excited to start working!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller...Beuller...

What is a medicare number?

A medicare number is necessary for a doctor/clinician to bill medicare for services. If you don't have a medicare number to bill under, then you can't get reimbursed.