Certified Medical Assistant jobs with certificate but no ambulatory clinic experience

• Thread starter Deleted member 1077394
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 1077394

I am a nontrad who needs to work full-time. I lost my nonmedical job last week. I am getting close to application season and am considering getting a CMA certificate at my local community college and working as one. That seems stable, often offers employee benefits and seems like something I'd enjoy. It would also be helpful for my medical school application.

I obviously wouldn't have medical assistant experience when I go to apply for jobs. I have clinical experience in a volunteer capacity (7 years of hospice volunteering and 3 of hospital volunteering) so at least I'm not coming from zero. However, even though I do outpatient hospice, I don't have any clinic volunteer experience and the free clinic in town isn't taking volunteers because of COVID.

Have any of you been successful in obtaining CMA jobs in a timely manner with a certificate but no experience?

I don't want it to be like being an EMT-B where around here (Chicago suburbs) people can get their certificate and then it can take a year to even find a job with private transport, let alone 911. These jobs aren't backbreaking like being a CNA, so I imagine they would fall somewhere inbetween in terms of competitiveness (?).

Any other information I should know?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was an MA for 3 years before med school and went to a community college for my certificate. This was in Portland, OR where there are always a lot of MA jobs available. Most people would get hired at the site they did their externship. I had no problem finding a job and started working the Monday after I graduated. Medical assisting is a high-turnover field with a low barrier to entry.

A better option might be to look for a clinic that is willing to hire and train an MA without going through a certificate program. IMO all the skills needed are easily picked up on the job. A doc might be willing to hire a motivated non-trad like yourself.

I wouldn't necessarily go through the MA program to increase your competitiveness for med school. It was nice being able to relate medical experiences on interviews but I don't think it played a factor in me being invited for interviews or accepted. One major perk though is the relationship you can build with doctors and your employer for letters of recommendation.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me

Reactions: 1 user
I was an MA for 3 years before med school and went to a community college for my certificate. This was in Portland, OR where there are always a lot of MA jobs available. Most people would get hired at the site they did their externship. I had no problem finding a job and started working the Monday after I graduated. Medical assisting is a high-turnover field with a low barrier to entry.

A better option might be to look for a clinic that is willing to hire and train an MA without going through a certificate program. IMO all the skills needed are easily picked up on the job. A doc might be willing to hire a motivated non-trad like yourself.

I wouldn't necessarily go through the MA program to increase your competitiveness for med school. It was nice being able to relate medical experiences on interviews but I don't think it played a factor in me being invited for interviews or accepted. One major perk though is the relationship you can build with doctors and your employer for letters of recommendation.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me

Thank you so much!

ETA: I love your username. I am working on a Parks & Rec re-watch right now. :)

Last edited by a moderator: