Cervical epidural in Chiari malformation patients

Jun 28, 2006
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hi all. Looking for some advice and education. I have a 65 year old patient who came to me with a cervical radiculopathy. Pcp ordered the cervical mri, which showed herniated disc and compression of c5 nerve root. A chiari type 1 malformation was incidentally found and patient has never had any symptoms. No syrinx seen.

What are your thoughts on performing cervical epidurals on these patients? I was under the impression to avoid them given potential risk for herniation.

Does the presence of a syrinx change anything?

Would the same apply if this patient came in for a lumbar epidural?

Thanks

SSdoc33

10+ Year Member
    Apr 23, 2007
    1. Attending Physician
      Hi all. Looking for some advice and education. I have a 65 year old patient who came to me with a cervical radiculopathy. Pcp ordered the cervical mri, which showed herniated disc and compression of c5 nerve root. A chiari type 1 malformation was incidentally found and patient has never had any symptoms. No syrinx seen.

What are your thoughts on performing cervical epidurals on these patients? I was under the impression to avoid them given potential risk for herniation.

Does the presence of a syrinx change anything?

Would the same apply if this patient came in for a lumbar epidural?

Thanks
      No. Just do the shot. No problems

Reactions: 3 users
      About the Ads

ragnathor

10+ Year Member
      Jan 10, 2007
      1. Attending Physician
        Agree with the above. I learned in training to do CESI at C6-C7 without a catheter or C7-T1 with a catheter. Switched to C7-T1 after spending some time on this forum and feel it is much safer/simpler. I still use depomedrol for cervical ILESI but may switch to dexamethasone.

Regarding asymptomatic Chiari I and epidurals, the OB anesthesia literature overwhelming supports use of neuraxial anesthesia for these patients. Cervical is probably even safer regarding theoretical risk of herniation.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.