Cervical facet injections dosing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted875186

Curious what dose and what steroid people are doing with cervical IA facet steroid injections? Do people do bilateral cervical facets? Do you guys typically use contrast?

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve started doing more of these lately (still only 5-10/year) because I’ve inherited some patients who swear that they give them great relief for >3 months, though soon insurance may stop covering them I guess.

I do them prone, inject 0.1-0.2cc contrast. Max 0.5cc dex or when my syringe meets some resistance, indicating joint is at capacity, usually felt at about 0.3cc of dex or not felt at all.

Reactions: 1 user
0.5-1.0 ml dex 10mg/ml. Yes contrast, 0.1-2 ml

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting, are most people using dex? Are people using depo?

So if you did two or three facet joints, people are injecting 5 mg or so of dex in each joint? Do people use local in cervical facet joints?

Yes about 5 mg dex per joint if multiple. Handful of vascular when clearly in joint. Sometimes mix with local.

I stopped doing them and now only do MBB/RF, but I only used dex due to high vascularity in the c-spine. 1/4% Bupi as a carrier for the steroid. Minimal volumes per joint, about 1/2cc in and perhaps 1/2cc immediately posterior.

I do these frequently. Use 40mg depo per side and typically split it b/w 2-3 joints. I also use 0.25% marcaine as my carrier. Just the other day I had some epidural spread during an injection which made me a little nervous even though that combo in the epidural space would theoretically be fine.

Mostly MBBs now, but similar to others: 0.1-0.2 contrast and 0.5 of a solution of 20mg dex (2mL) and 1mL 1% lidocaine. I try to get away with three levels each side if I can, usually C2/3 to C4/5 for the headache with neck pain crowd. They do so well with RFA I usually try to steer them this direction but there are those who’ve had great luck with z-joints and only come around every 6 months to a year. Can’t argue with results.

Mostly MBBs now, but similar to others: 0.1-0.2 contrast and 0.5 of a solution of 20mg dex (2mL) and 1mL 1% lidocaine. I try to get away with three levels each side if I can, usually C2/3 to C4/5 for the headache with neck pain crowd. They do so well with RFA I usually try to steer them this direction but there are those who’ve had great luck with z-joints and only come around every 6 months to a year. Can’t argue with results.
Do you always do C2-C4 despite what MRI shows? Used to do C2-C5, but new rules only allow billing for 2 joints

Do you always do C2-C4 despite what MRI shows? Used to do C2-C5, but new rules only allow billing for 2 joints

I haven’t had any trouble getting authorization for repeat three level, if I’m PA’ing a new two level, I’ll authorize TON and C4-5 and place the needles as usual for three levels… I usually bipolar the TON anyway (A practice I’ve adopted as a result of this forum), and the caudal most needle is easily repositioned at C3 MB, if not there already. Otherwise: 20 ga, 10 mm active tip, one or two passes, 0.5-0.75 mL 2% lidocaine and burn right away.