Cervical Injections for Headache and Face Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmk5n

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Any of you guys done this?

Members don't see this ad.

patient has dental pain and a tension headache. proceduralist packed the broken tooth with lidocaine for dental pain. for the tension headache he did a trigger point injection into the traps. at first i thought patient had atypical facial pain but after watching video that Dx made no sense. trigger point injections are sort of a lost art - Tavell wrote 2 books on triggers.
Janet G. Travell - Wikipedia
//She is remembered as President John F. Kennedy's personal physician and a researcher of the concept of trigger points as a cause of musculoskeletal referred pain.//

- why would you prep the site, then have your assistant totally rub over the site while pulling the hair away?

- he has no idea where the tip of the needle is.

his finger is actually on C7, and he thinks the injection above his finger is at C7.....

- i suspect what worked primarily was distraction from the pain of the injection and his massage after the injection.

- maybe what "works" is the "limited number of pain medication... nothing with codeine... the percocets" that she gets upon discharge. i know its just me, but she seemed to start smiling a little more when he tells her that she is going home with something.

Members don't see this ad :)
- why would you prep the site, then have your assistant totally rub over the site while pulling the hair away?
distraction - makes pain less on needle insertion.
- he has no idea where the tip of the needle is.
does it by feel. definitely a lost art.

his finger is actually on C7, and he thinks the injection above his finger is at C7.....
i did not catch that - did he say he wanted to be at C7? i think he just wanted to be in the traps - i must have missed that part...

- i suspect what worked primarily was distraction from the pain of the injection and his massage after the injection.
entirely possible. but he may also have injected a trigger.

- maybe what "works" is the "limited number of pain medication... nothing with codeine... the percocets" that she gets upon discharge. i know its just me, but she seemed to start smiling a little more when he tells her that she is going home with something.
yup. now the bills get paid, or the pills traded for better pills. the doctor gets paid. only loser is the taxpayer.

myofascists

Reactions: 1 user