Cetified Dental Assistant or Job Shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to dental school in 1/2 years, I was wondering if it is better for extracurricular activities to be a CDA (take exam) or just simply job shadow? It would seem being a CDA would be more "hands on" and more experience

Members don't see this ad.

I thought my (certified) dental assisting experience went a long way, and you can also put your time working as an assistant under the Shadowing section of AADSAS. It'll definitely raise an eyebrow compared to someone who wasn't an assistant, but it wouldn't be a drastic difference.

And you have to take a test? Hm, we didn't have to take one in CA. Realistically though in many states, a certified dental assistant is the same job as someone hired off the street as a dental assistant.

I agree with the post posted before. I worked as a dental assistant throughout college before applying to dental school. My interviewers were more interested in my working experience as compared to my shadowing experiences because of my hand skills that I gained and the tasks that I completed. Working as a dental assistant is just more interactive and provides for more opportunities. About the test, I did not take one since my dentist trained me.

Members don't see this ad :)
a paid position means you're actually doing some dentistry rather than standing in the corner watching. you're in the game and on the team. also, you have a better idea about whats going on in dentistry if you get to tag along w/ the dentist to study clubs and conferences. downside = lots of time you could be using to get better grades and make you a stronger applicant. but if you put up an assistant vs shadower...there's no contest.

If ds felt that da is an asset to aspiring dentists it certainly would be among the recommendations. Is there a single school out there that is making this suggestion?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527523

Shadowing is fine. When you're a dentist, you're not actually going to be doing the things that assistants do anyhow.

On that note however- I don't think becoming an assistant is necessary, but if you have the time and the motivation, I think it can be an eye-opening experience. But by all means, if you're going to let your GPA or DAT suffer because of it then don't do it.

Yeah, although I didn't get paid and I was working as a volunteer, I thought that my dental assisting experience was much more immersive and gave me a much better perspective to the day to day running of a dental office than when I was just shadowing. Being an assistant is what truly inspired me. And although they don't say it on their recommended lists, most of my interviewers noted that having my assisting experience really showed my dedication to the field, over just shadowing, and that it was a big plus. But like I said before, you definitely don't need to be an assistant, but I found it to be a great experience.

Yeah, although I didn't get paid and I was working as a volunteer, I thought that my dental assisting experience was much more immersive and gave me a much better perspective to the day to day running of a dental office than when I was just shadowing. Being an assistant is what truly inspired me. And although they don't say it on their recommended lists, most of my interviewers noted that having my assisting experience really showed my dedication to the field, over just shadowing, and that it was a big plus. But like I said before, you definitely don't need to be an assistant, but I found it to be a great experience.

You are probably right. The da experience must have overshadowed the 22.

If you only have the time to do one or the other, I would vote for shadowing. Getting the certificate to become a dental assistant will take time [are you a student? You will have to study for the CDA exam(s?) and I believe you have to attend classes, which could end up being a detriment to your much-more-important GPA and DAT scores] and money. Furthermore, being someone's dental assistant means you spend a great deal of time in one office. Yes, you'll get paid, and you'll get a lot of hands-on experience, but from my own dental assistantship experience, most of it is "fetch me a football and a diamond", "hold the suction a little lower", and writing "19, M, needs filling". Not really earthshattering stuff. You can just learn it when you go shadow.

The advantage of shadowing is that you won't be locked into a job. You can shadow 2, 3, 4 different dentists for as long as you feel that you are still gaining something from the experience, then when you both are tired of one another, move on with a nice thank-you note/gift. This will expose you to more sizes/types of practices/dentists, skips the "job preparation/application" phase of becoming a dental assistant, and will give you a better chance to talk to several dentists and get different views on your questions, as opposed to having to go to work for one dental practice for several hours/days a week.

If you actually need a part-time job, go CDA. If you're fixing up your resume for dental school, use the extra time to get your GPA/DAT up, and shadow several dentists.

I agree with the post posted before. I worked as a dental assistant throughout college before applying to dental school. My interviewers were more interested in my working experience as compared to my shadowing experiences because of my hand skills that I gained and the tasks that I completed. Working as a dental assistant is just more interactive and provides for more opportunities. About the test, I did not take one since my dentist trained me.

I'm curious: If you don't mind me asking, what hand skills did you gain, and what tasks did you complete?

I took and developed X-rays, held the suction, prepared paste and readied the anesthetic needles... none of my stuff was related to hand skills.

I guess I'm just curious... maybe I missed out on a lot when I was an assistant.

You are probably right.

Thank you so much for finally agreeing with me, it really means a lot to me to have you on my side. I definitely appreciate that you clearly read and understood my previous post where I stated that it wouldn't make a "drastic difference" if you did assisting over shadowing, but that my interviewers said it went a long way to go towards showing dedication and true interest in the field. It really warms my heart to know that we're finally on the same page, and that you've moved away from your incredibly cynical side :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If ds felt that da is an asset to aspiring dentists it certainly would be among the recommendations. Is there a single school out there that is making this suggestion?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527523

if you're a DA then you at least speak the language, and have an understanding of different proceedures and such. there are a lot of DA's out there that keep the dentists sharp with suggestions, questions, ideas, and another set of eyes. do you not agree that dental schools are aware of the experience difference between a DA and a non-DA/ shadower? 1-4 years as a DA >>>>any amount of shadowing.

im not sure where you are from. but i'm from texas and i'm a registered dental assistant. it was really easy to get, and CDA is a thing of the past. now all that is needed is RDA. the toughest part would be finding a dentist for you to work for. but i just took an online course (6 hours), then filled out an application. you also need to be CPR certified, but technically you have to be CPR certified if you in a dentist office, regardless of just shadowing or assisting. the RDA certification just allows you to take xrays and such. the dentist can train you on procedures and everything that you'll need to learn.

i'll agree with those that say thats as a dentist you wont be doing a lot of the same crap you have to deal with as an assistant. but you sure do learn a lot, the key thing i've learned is the best possible way to communicate with patients, each patient is different, and you'll want to fully understand each procedure to explain it to your patients. something you wil have to be able to do as a dentist. good luck!

im not sure where you are from. but i'm from texas and i'm a registered dental assistant. it was really easy to get, and CDA is a thing of the past. now all that is needed is RDA. the toughest part would be finding a dentist for you to work for. but i just took an online course (6 hours), then filled out an application. you also need to be CPR certified, but technically you have to be CPR certified if you in a dentist office, regardless of just shadowing or assisting. the RDA certification just allows you to take xrays and such. the dentist can train you on procedures and everything that you'll need to learn.

i'll agree with those that say thats as a dentist you wont be doing a lot of the same crap you have to deal with as an assistant. but you sure do learn a lot, the key thing i've learned is the best possible way to communicate with patients, each patient is different, and you'll want to fully understand each procedure to explain it to your patients. something you wil have to be able to do as a dentist. good luck!

Well, the thing about DA/CDA/RDA is that it's different in every state. In California (where I worked) is takes about 2 years of either classes or work experience to be able to take the RDA licensing exam, which is given by the state. It's rather easy to just start working for a Dentist and have them teach you everything that a dental assistant does, and if you want to be a CDA, you just have to take a class - I took it over the summer when I was in high school.

Thank you so much for finally agreeing with me, it really means a lot to me to have you on my side. I definitely appreciate that you clearly read and understood my previous post where I stated that it wouldn't make a "drastic difference" if you did assisting over shadowing, but that my interviewers said it went a long way to go towards showing dedication and true interest in the field. It really warms my heart to know that we're finally on the same page, and that you've moved away from your incredibly cynical side :)

Golly gee! With such accolades it almost seems a shame to burst your bubble. No doubt your interviewers went out of their way to be positive about your da experience. Had the experience been non existent, you can pretty much bet, once they decided that they liked you, they would been just as excited complimenting the color of your shoe laces.

if you're a DA then you at least speak the language, and have an understanding of different proceedures and such. there are a lot of DA's out there that keep the dentists sharp with suggestions, questions, ideas, and another set of eyes. do you not agree that dental schools are aware of the experience difference between a DA and a non-DA/ shadower? 1-4 years as a DA >>>>any amount of shadowing.

In case you are not aware, teaching the dental lingo about the "different procedures and such" is what dental school are all about. If it takes a da to "keep the dentists sharps with suggestions, questions, idea, and another set of eyes" it is either a question of being delusional or you are describing a professional who is in serious need of some ce.

I'm curious: If you don't mind me asking, what hand skills did you gain, and what tasks did you complete?

I took and developed X-rays, held the suction, prepared paste and readied the anesthetic needles... none of my stuff was related to hand skills.

I guess I'm just curious... maybe I missed out on a lot when I was an assistant.

As a da, you get to take impressions, make temporary crowns, pour up impressions. If you get the coronal polishing certification, you are also allowed to do prophys. I do think those are great hand skills you get working as a da.

If you only have the time to do one or the other, I would vote for shadowing. Getting the certificate to become a dental assistant will take time [are you a student? You will have to study for the CDA exam(s?) and I believe you have to attend classes

there are also unregistered dental assistant positions if the dentist or staff are willing to train you. you don't need to take the CDA exam.

Golly gee! With such accolades it almost seems a shame to burst your bubble. No doubt your interviewers went out of their way to be positive about your da experience. Had the experience been non existent, you can pretty much bet, once they decided that they liked you, they would been just as excited complimenting the color of your shoe laces.

In case you are not aware, teaching the dental lingo about the "different procedures and such" is what dental school are all about. If it takes a da to "keep the dentists sharps with suggestions, questions, idea, and another set of eyes" it is either a question of being delusional or you are describing a professional who is in serious need of some ce.

so dentists never miss something that an assistant that sits across from them everyday and helps them do the very same procedures might catch? perhaps the delusion isn't mine sir.

what happened to the constructive, objective, doc toothache? honestly, i'm disappointed. :thumbdown:

so dentists never miss something that an assistant that sits across from them everyday and helps them do the very same procedures might catch? perhaps the delusion isn't mine sir.

You could be right. Your da may tug on your sleeve as you are about to place a pin in the furcation area.

what happened to the constructive, objective, doc toothache? honestly, i'm disappointed. :thumbdown:

If a disagreement on the wisdom of choosing da vs say spending time on doing well in the pre dent requirements or the DAT sends you into orbit, you might want to check the parameters you use in your definition of "disappointment" and if this turns out to be the one that stands out in your life's journey consider yourself pretty darn lucky. Like beauty, whether one is "constructive" or "objective" is in the eyes of the beholder.

You could be right. Your da may tug on your sleeve as you are about to place a pin in the furcation area.

If a disagreement on the wisdom of choosing da vs say spending time on doing well in the pre dent requirements or the DAT sends you into orbit, you might want to check the parameters you use in your definition of "disappointment" and if this turns out to be the one that stands out in your life's journey consider yourself pretty darn lucky. Like beauty, whether one is "constructive" or "objective" is in the eyes of the beholder.

perhaps you've never had a decent DA. a well trained DA will make night and day differences in your dentistry and your production. that is a fact. i was disappointed, your commentary on the experience of being a DA seemed arrogant and unneccesary. it may not help you get in so much as grades and such, but it will fire you up about dentistry and dental classes will be covering familiar topics and materials that won't be so foreign and thus reduce some stress in your life and contribute to a better dental school experience. maybe it saves someone from dropping out like it happened today here at MWU. a guy just decided that dentistry wasn't for him and dropped out. and his grades and DAT were great....

perhaps you've never had a decent DA. a well trained DA will make night and day differences in your dentistry and your production. that is a fact. i was disappointed, your commentary on the experience of being a DA seemed arrogant and unneccesary. it may not help you get in so much as grades and such, but it will fire you up about dentistry and dental classes will be covering familiar topics and materials that won't be so foreign and thus reduce some stress in your life and contribute to a better dental school experience. maybe it saves someone from dropping out like it happened today here at MWU. a guy just decided that dentistry wasn't for him and dropped out. and his grades and DAT were great....

And of course you would know. What with the vast experience with das and all you are well versed with the "facts". As for your colleague at MWU that dropped out, had he been packing some serious da experience, no doubt the outcome would have been different.

And of course you would know. What with the vast experience with das and all you are well versed with the "facts". As for your colleague at MWU that dropped out, had he been packing some serious da experience, no doubt the outcome would have been different.

wow. hilarious. yes if he had DA experience he might have known that dentistry wasnt for him. that seat could have gone to someone else with some dental experience that knew they had a passion for dentistry.
where do you get off being all smarmy and condesending doc? :thumbdown:

Did somebody steal doc toothache's password? I don't understand why you're being such a douche, doc...

wow. hilarious. yes if he had DA experience he might have known that dentistry wasnt for him. that seat could have gone to someone else with some dental experience that knew they had a passion for dentistry.
where do you get off being all smarmy and condesending doc? :thumbdown:

I agree. I had never been one of those who "knew this since they were kids" type. I thought about it, decided to get some shadowing experience to see if it was what I REALLY wanted to do. :thumbup:I had heard of some dropping out or even graduating and saying it was not for them. Now I am positive this is what I want to do. It makes me angry when I hear or read of people dropping out. Just like you said it could have been taken by one who knows they really want it. (like little ol' me) I think people should be exposed and if possible learn the skills. (although they are different for da and doc I know)My hope is that when I get in, my life will be easier because I will know some dental knowledge! (I have been doing this for 4 years now and am the director/instructor of a dental assisting program):xf:

yes if he had DA experience he might have known that dentistry wasnt for him.

So you are saying that MWU let an applicant in without DA experience and based their decisions solely on GPA, DAT, EC activities and shadowing experiences?

Last edited:
So you are saying that MWU let an applicant in without DA experience and based their decisions solely on GPA, DAT, EC activities and shadowing experiences?

How dare they!

maybe we shouldn't have. all i'm saying is that it helps. it is dental experience, and it's noticable in school who has it and who doesn't. not that its impossible to get by without it or anything, but it helps. it makes life easier in school. do either of you disagree? or just prefer to be sarcastic rather than offing an opinion? either way, make a point or let the grown folk talk.

I think that's the point. I'm sure you're right in that it helps. But acting like everyone has to be a DA or they're going to go through an identity crisis in d-school is probably overexaggerating. Personally, I think if shadowing is done properly, it is adequate.

Last edited:
It's hard to say that DA experience drastically improved my chances at dental school but I definitely feel more confident talking about dentistry in a more informed way. Some interviewers are impressed about "hands on" DA experience, others are not--it really came down to how well I integrated that DA experience into my knowledge base and how that experience has cemented my decision to pursue dentistry. What DA experience does give you is further insight on clinical dentistry to help you understand what exactly it is you are pursuing.

In terms of responsibilities of the Dental Assistant, I did mostly x-ray, model pour-ups, and front desk work. In some clinics, Doctors rather opt to use isoLites than have a dental assistant. In other clinics, Doctors rely heavily on dental assistants. It also showed me that dentists are not infallible. During busy seasons, and things start to get real hectic: they might forget expiration dates, or forget to apply etchant. So in that sense, dental assistants are extra eyes. Doing DA work will probably get you as close a view of clinical dentistry than any shadowing or volunteering. It is to enrich your experience, not so much to put a gold star on your application :).

Looking back, without the DA experience I would have been at a loss for a lot of dentistry related questions during my interviews.

This is very true. I was a dental assistant for several years before going back to school. The position you're in as an assistant is not to "tug on the sleeve" of the dentist, but if you are competent and know what you're doing, you become a valuable resource for him/her. Little things, like, "does that look straight" "do you think she's and A2 or B1" or, very importantly, being able to have a decent idea of what the issue is after taking an x-ray and doing a basic emergency exam so the doctor only has to be in the room for 5 minutes instead of 20.

It took a long time to reach that point, but I learned an incredible amount, as far as good ways to do procedures, signs of a poorly-fitting crown, differences between brands of composite material, and more. While I'm in no way ready to practice dentistry, if I did go into that field the background and experience would be very valuable. In addition, I already know what it's like to deal with stinky breath and saliva all day. :)

Looking back, without the DA experience I would have been at a loss for a lot of dentistry related questions during my interviews.

What dentistry related questions were brought up during your interviews?

This is very true. I was a dental assistant for several years before going back to school. The position you're in as an assistant is not to "tug on the sleeve" of the dentist, but if you are competent and know what you're doing, you become a valuable resource for him/her. Little things, like, "does that look straight" "do you think she's and A2 or B1" or, very importantly, being able to have a decent idea of what the issue is after taking an x-ray and doing a basic emergency exam so the doctor only has to be in the room for 5 minutes instead of 20.

It took a long time to reach that point, but I learned an incredible amount, as far as good ways to do procedures, signs of a poorly-fitting crown, differences between brands of composite material, and more. While I'm in no way ready to practice dentistry, if I did go into that field the background and experience would be very valuable. In addition, I already know what it's like to deal with stinky breath and saliva all day. :)

:thumbup: that's what i'm talkin about.