• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

emc7171

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
Has anyone here volunteered in CFHI's tropical disease program in Puerto Escondido? If so, it would be great to hear what you thought of it. Thanks.

polycon7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2006
Las Vegas
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I was planning to go to the one set up in Ecuador last year but some family issue came up so I couldn't make and had to withdraw. I was a little tentative about going because I didn't know anyone who has been with this group. Sorry, no help here but the one in Mexico sounds great!

pyrois

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2006
Berkeley, CA
Status (Visible)
I was planning to go to the one set up in Ecuador last year but some family issue came up so I couldn't make and had to withdraw. I was a little tentative about going because I didn't know anyone who has been with this group. Sorry, no help here but the one in Mexico sounds great!

My sister did the Ecuador one. Child Family Health International right? They are a good group, although because of their increased size, the people who go don't get as much personal attention as they used to (hence why I chose to go with a different organization).

She's doing well though, accepted everywhere.

About the Ads

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Has anyone here volunteered in CFHI's tropical disease program in Puerto Escondido? If so, it would be great to hear what you thought of it. Thanks.
Tropical diseases you say?
sablefish_worms.jpg

GreatLemur_tummy.jpg

Personally, I have fond memories of Mexico:
groovehouse_tyrannosaurus.jpg

Traveling there and getting back is so easy:
MexicanCrazedCommando.jpg

The food......excellent! :thumbup:
MexicansInnate.jpg

And speaking of easy.....
MexicanJaime.jpg

:smuggrin:

diosa428

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
I did the CFHI program in Ecuador. I thought the Spanish lessons were really helpful, and going to the hospitals was great. You will, however, basically be shadowing. They won't let you do anything, and you have to actually sign something saying that you won't, because hypothetically if the patients know you're American and something goes wrong, they will sue you and CFHI. This was fine with me, as a premed, because I got to shadow a different type of doctor each week (not sure how the program in Mexico is run) and I had never shadowed before. But a lot of the medical students and nursing students were irritated because they thought they would get more hands on experience.

PeripateticMD

Peripatetic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
World
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Dropkick, this is the first time I've been thoroughly disgusted by your response. It may be funny to some... but I think it... is just in bad taste.

Murphy, do the goons know you spread their work around so much? are you on commission or what?

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
^^ For those of you wondering, the pictures posted in this thread are probably the reason why DKM's account is on hold. Yes, I usually get a good laugh out of the pictures but some of these are pretty offensive. Account on hold for a good reason ^^

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.