1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

CFHI volunteer in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by emc7171, Feb 18, 2007.

  1. emc7171

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Has anyone here volunteered in CFHI's tropical disease program in Puerto Escondido? If so, it would be great to hear what you thought of it. Thanks.
     
  2. polycon7

    polycon7 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2006
    Messages:
    278
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Medical Student
    I was planning to go to the one set up in Ecuador last year but some family issue came up so I couldn't make and had to withdraw. I was a little tentative about going because I didn't know anyone who has been with this group. Sorry, no help here but the one in Mexico sounds great!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pyrois

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2006
    Messages:
    673
    Likes Received:
    2
    My sister did the Ecuador one. Child Family Health International right? They are a good group, although because of their increased size, the people who go don't get as much personal attention as they used to (hence why I chose to go with a different organization).

    She's doing well though, accepted everywhere.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DropkickMurphy

    DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2005
    Messages:
    9,768
    Likes Received:
    21
    Status:
    Other Health Professions Student
    Tropical diseases you say?
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Personally, I have fond memories of Mexico:
    [​IMG]

    Traveling there and getting back is so easy:
    [​IMG]

    The food......excellent! :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

    And speaking of easy.....
    [​IMG]
    :smuggrin:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MirrorTodd

    MirrorTodd It's a gas.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Messages:
    16,241
    Likes Received:
    7,073
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Dropkick, you have entirely too much time on your hands.:D
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. diosa428

    diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    Messages:
    2,662
    Likes Received:
    9
    I did the CFHI program in Ecuador. I thought the Spanish lessons were really helpful, and going to the hospitals was great. You will, however, basically be shadowing. They won't let you do anything, and you have to actually sign something saying that you won't, because hypothetically if the patients know you're American and something goes wrong, they will sue you and CFHI. This was fine with me, as a premed, because I got to shadow a different type of doctor each week (not sure how the program in Mexico is run) and I had never shadowed before. But a lot of the medical students and nursing students were irritated because they thought they would get more hands on experience.
     
  7. PeripateticMD

    PeripateticMD Peripatetic
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2006
    Messages:
    528
    Likes Received:
    34
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Dropkick, this is the first time I've been thoroughly disgusted by your response. It may be funny to some... but I think it... is just in bad taste.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. OP
    OP
    emc7171

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for the help all...
     
  9. baylormed

    baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2005
    Messages:
    4,304
    Likes Received:
    48
    Status:
    Post Doc
    Second that. :thumbup:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. 45408

    45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2004
    Messages:
    16,976
    Likes Received:
    45
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Murphy, do the goons know you spread their work around so much? are you on commission or what?
     
  11. DropkickMurphy

    DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2005
    Messages:
    9,768
    Likes Received:
    21
    Status:
    Other Health Professions Student
    :laugh: No, but I should probably demand that www.somethingawful.com should pay me
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. sunnyjohn

    sunnyjohn Got Mustard?
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    Messages:
    2,697
    Likes Received:
    10
    Status:
    Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    DKM,

    are you hitting the pipe? :smuggrin:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. DropkickMurphy

    DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2005
    Messages:
    9,768
    Likes Received:
    21
    Status:
    Other Health Professions Student
    [​IMG]
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. baylormed

    baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2005
    Messages:
    4,304
    Likes Received:
    48
    Status:
    Post Doc
    ^^ For those of you wondering, the pictures posted in this thread are probably the reason why DKM's account is on hold. Yes, I usually get a good laugh out of the pictures but some of these are pretty offensive. Account on hold for a good reason ^^
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page