cGPA 2.52, sGPA 2.33 undergrad, 3.62 in Postbacc, need some direction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aerokite

Reaction score
Hello all! First time poster!

I grew up in an abusive household and did not have the right mindset going into undergrad. I had a turbulent time, battling years of depression and suicidal thoughts and not having proper study skills (breezed through high school). I flunked out of a top-10 university, studied at CC for a year, then performed poorly at my state school.

2010-11: cGPA 1.38, sGPA 0.86, 18 total credits
2011-12: cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.41, 50 total credits
2012-15: cGPA 2.34, sGPA 2.05, 125.5 total credits

Total undergrad: cGPA 2.52 (193.5 total credits), sGPA 2.33 (114.5 total credits)

I majored in Biology and Physics, minored in Chemistry and Economics. I was playing with different subjects without excelling at any of them. On the side, I volunteered as an EMT (~1000 hours). I thrived at my squad and loved treating patients but do not want EMS as a career choice. The squad got shut down in my senior year due to township politics.

I spent 2015-16 doing nothing. I was pretty much holed up in my room that entire time, afraid of the world. I wanted to go into medicine, but I felt paralyzed. A family member from the other side of the US urged me to work in a neighboring lab at her university, just to get me out into the real world.

Since 2016, I've been volunteering in a cell biology lab at a prestigious university (doesn't mean much, since I got in through family). I did ask for a job but my request was not accepted. I do not anticipate my name in a publication unless I stayed for about a year. I've likely contributed around 4000 hours so far.

I started my postbacc (UCBX) almost a year ago and have a 3.62 GPA. I got 2 B+s, one last semester, which I attributed to disentangling myself from an abusive partner, and one in the summer semester. I really struggled with this second B+. I felt like I was on track but I was placing a lot of blame on my troubled past and personal life, without taking enough responsibility for my own shortcomings. I'm disappointed by my GPA, as I have an especially disadvantaged uGPA, but I am not deterred.

It would take me 147 undergrad credits of A's for my cGPA to rise to 3.00 (sGPA to 3.05). This would take me 8 semesters to complete at 18-19 credits/semester.

My idea is to take at least 18 more credits at postbacc, which must be aced. I will undergo therapy to handle the past emotional trauma and change my studying approach to guarantee it. I must be more strategic and humble in my approach to academics. Then I will take the MCAT (which I understand must be high) and apply to a one-year SMP program. After this, would I be in a good enough position to apply to med schools?

The advice I got from a consulting firm a few years ago (I've seen their name on SDN a lot) was to do a postbacc or SMP, get only A's and then maaaaaybe I could squeeze into the Caribbean but MD and DO would be off the table. I'm not convinced that my options are this limited. Am I being delusional?

By the way, if I get 26 credits in postbacc with As, my cGPA will be 2.70 and sGPA will be 2.60. Would this be worth it?

I have read a few guides on SDN so far (Goro's guide on reinvention, gonnif's analysis on Caribbean, another one on low GPA). I am eager for more guidance and resources. And if you think my approach to this is all wrong or misguided, please tell me.

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I apologize in advance, but I have nothing to say as far as guiding you. I'm just a sophomore in undergrad.

I do, however, believe this is unconsciously EXACTLY what medical schools (& patients) are wanting to have, they just don't know it. The non-traditional students, in my eyes, are the ones who experienced life and have found that they inevitably want to serve others. I applaud you and hope someone on here will assist in giving you an advantageous route to being admitted to Medical School!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh! Thank you for the words of encouragement! Been having a rough past few days due to the B+ (I bombed the final and had been in great shape for an A) so that definitely cheered me up.

The best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't your current postbacc consist of undergraduate level courses?

Yes. My idea is to raise my undergrad GPA a little with the postbacc (possibly with 26 credits to get GPA to a 2.7) and then do a SMP alongside med students.

My state school may have enough course variety to offer the bulk of 147 credits with upper level science classes to raise GPA to 3.0

It looks like you're looking at two options: 1) 26 more credits and then apply to SMP or 2) 4 more years of undergrad and then apply to med school? If you do really well the next year or so you might have a shot at an SMP.

Regardless of which option you try to go with, you need to be realistic about your chances. There are people who have pristine records with everything looking great on paper who don't get into med school. It's nice to hope and dream big, but don't let that cloud your judgment.

Those were the two options I was thinking of, although I'm happy to hear of other ideas.

How realistic do you believe my chances are, if say, I got all As on the 26 postbacc credits (2.7 GPA), got a 505+ MCAT and 3.5 GPA at SMP?

I'm not an adcom, but I'm going to say your chances aren't going to be very good. You're really underestimating what you would need to make up for your undergrad grades. You should be aiming for at least a 512 and really nothing less than a 3.7 at an SMP. Hopefully an adcom or two will chime in and tell you something different that's more in line with what you want to hear.

Ok. I wasn't sure what numbers I needed. Thank you for giving such concrete terms!

Do you think that I'd have a shot with US med schools? Not convinced at all by the advice I got that I should be shooting for Caribbean.

If you need to go back to school to find an actual career make sure your on a path that will land you a good plan b career.

Ok. I wasn't sure what numbers I needed. Thank you for giving such concrete terms!

Do you think that I'd have a shot with US med schools? Not convinced at all by the advice I got that I should be shooting for Caribbean.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to go to the Caribbean.

My idea is to take at least 18 more credits at postbacc, which must be aced. I will undergo therapy to handle the past emotional trauma and change my studying approach to guarantee it. I must be more strategic and humble in my approach to academics. Then I will take the MCAT (which I understand must be high) and apply to a one-year SMP program. After this, would I be in a good enough position to apply to med schools?

Yes. But given how low low the cGPA as, despite that fact that I normally say that it's not about the cGPA, I strongly suggest two things for you:
Get into an SMP that is given by a med school, and use that as your doorway to med school
Get your mental health issues resolved before matriculation.

Three things actually: forget the Caribbean.

I don't have much more to add other than wanting to wish you the best of luck <3. It's going to be very difficult even if you ace the rest of your classes. People will tell you to stop and pursue other things, which may be true, but I suppose people like us wouldn't be able to move on unless we threw everything we had at this process first.

Of course, take care of yourself. Take it easy if you need to. You need to do this right... but also be realistic with yourself and your situation (finances, for instance). Look into DO SMPs too and don't be afraid to call their admissions and ask about your chances, whether their program will be willing to consider you, what you can do to be more competitive, etc.

Do come back and let us know how you're doing from time to time. I hope the best for you.

Ok, I'll try calling some SMP admissions to get a feel for the field. Thank you!