cGPA: 3.0, sGPA 2.6, rising senior, apply in the fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latieungao

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate very much for you to read this long list and tell me (w/o sugar) if I should apply (MD&OD)this coming Fall. Or What can I do.

Thank you thank you!!

Rising senior, economics major.
looking at 3.4gpa for this semester.
currently cumulative GPA: 3.0

Intro Bio: D
Human Health Bio: B
Gen Chem.I: B-
Gen ChemII; C+
OrgoI: B
OrgoII: B+(expecting)
Gen Phys I: B
Gen Phys II: A- (expecting)

EC: Volunteer ~ 50hours translating for non-english speaking patients
Volunteer ~15 hours visiting senior citizens
Job: Supervisor for Youth Development program, 1 summer
Job: Tutor SAT math, 1 summer
Leadership: President of PingPong club.
Leadership: Recipient of Leadership Full Scholarship

This summer plan:
Shadow doctor for 1 month, 5days/week, 8 hours/day.
Mentor College Bridge Program in Math and Science
Study for and take MCAT in September.

Members don't see this ad.

No don't apply. I take it you mean DO and not OD--completely different fields. First of all, a 'D' in a prereq doesn't count for anything. Are those Bio classes for science majors? Your GPAs are just not up to par. You should probably retake Cs and Ds and do post-bacc work...that is if you even really want to tackle this. Your ECs also need work, but your big problem is grades. Also, studying for and taking the MCAT in 1 month and late in the application cycle--ill advised. Bottom line--don't waste your money. Take a step back, recognize that you've got a lot of blood, sweat, and tears ahead to recover your GPA--and then decide if this is a road you REALLY, REALLY want for yourself. Good luck!

Personally, this is what I would do
1) definitely retake your intro to Bio course and Gen Chem II if you are able to. and take some other upper level science courses (like Anatomy, Genetics and/or Physio) to raise your Science GPA & cumulative GPA.

2) Since your GPA is lacking, you must make it up with a good MCAT. I would aim anything higher than a 32 based on your future GPA.

3)I would end up taking a year off (or two, but hopefully not) STAY ACTIVE. Try and Get some Long-Term Clinical Volunteering in, Shadowing, or Clinical exposure (job). If it is Possible get a job as a CNA, PCT or EMT (courses offered over the summer at local C.C.)

4) also make sure you apply early, so the latest you can take the MCAT is late April so come June 1st your application is in and greater likely hood of getting in.

I know It's not what you wanted to hear but the road is long and hard, but make sure you motivate yourself, stay at it and You can make it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I think with a sGPA of 2.6, you'd be in for the long hall. It would take a lot of work, probably a Masters of some kind, with stellar grades if you wanted to be considered for acceptance.

I had a friend that had an sGPA just under 3.00 and graduated from a top-ten university. It took her five years to get her application to the point where success was possible. 3 years of working as a lab tech and 2 of school.

I'm not saying that you should quit, but it will be a long road for you I feel.

Last edited:
ok. so I wouldn't apply and waste money and effort.

How should I enhance my credential from now?

I am thinking of taking easy classes (not necessarily science) next year to boost up my GPA. Is that fine? or Should I retake the intro classes and higher level science courses?

I have heard people go to Post Bacc. Can I not go through Post Bacc. but instead take classes at CC ?

What kind of EC do I lack?

thanks

You should go to an SMP.

You shouldn't do CC classes for two reasons;
1) Calculate the number of credits and grades you'll need to raise your cGPA to 3.4 (at the absolute lowest) - you'll see it is prob quite a few and going to be rather challenging
2) if you are trying to enhance you record and prove to med school that you can handle the rigor of their program...a CC doesn't really cut it IMO. Its debatable on here but i don't for one second believe that any CC is as challenging as a good post bac or SMP.

You are getting really really late in the cycle to apply for SMPs for the fall so i'd get a move on - beware some have a sGPA cut off of 3.0 and most have a cGPA cut off of 3.0 so you may still need to take classes (at ur local 4-yr, not a CC IMO) to raise your cGPA to not automatically get screened out *edit, i think rising senior means you are a junior now, so you still have some time to raise your GPAs*

i am not clear. you are saying that I need to get my cGPA up to 3.4. but that would be really challenging as it would requires straight A's?

My state is D.C. ...we have University of District of Columbia...which has an easy reputation. but it is a 4-yr University. is it also considered CC? How do grades from this school looked upon?

I kind of disagree w/ taking SMP as oppose to PostBac. Since my science grades are low.. I should be taking PostBac. which will have some "retakes." Also, don't PostBacc usually dont require MCAT? I dont feel ready for an MCAT yet.

yes, rest assured, I am working my butt off this 2nd Junior Semester to raise the GPA.

Last edited:
I am saying that you should figure out how many credits it would take you at straight As to get to a 3.4 cGPA. I think you'll find it will be over a year and i don't think you are going to go from a 3.0 student to a 4.0 student overnight. Thats why i think it would be challenging and costly-timewise.

A CC grants only associates, if it grants bachelors than it counts as 4-yr.

Disagree with me - but do the calculation and then come back and post. You'll see it will take you over a year to get to be still an uncompetitive candidate. Whereas an SMP can yield to much quicker success.