cGPA 3.2 26 MCAT URM (TX) -1st author pub | Lots of details inside!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhandal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background
-Hispanic URM
-Texas resident
-1st to go to college
-Parents got GED
-Age = 25 yrs.

Grades

>TMDSAS
cGPA = 3.20
sGPA = 3.16
AO = 3.27

>AACOMAS
cGPA = 3.37
sGPA = 3.40
AO = 3.35

>Freshman

sGPA = 2.25 @ 16hrs
AO = 2.65 @ 17hrs
cGPA = 2.45 @ 33 hrs

>Sophomore

sGPA = 1.76 @ 21 hrs
AO = 3.55 @ 11hrs
cGPA = 2.38 @ 32 hrs

>Junior

sGPA = 2.12 @ 17 hrs
AO = 3.67 @ 18 hrs
cGPA = 2.91 @ 35 hrs

>Senior

sGPA = 3.91 @ 82 hrs :eek: (Yep that's right 82 science hours in a extended senior year that was 5 semesters; all upper level)
AO = 3.31 @ 13 hrs
cGPA = 3.83 @ 95 hrs :eek:

MCAT
1st: 6V 10P 10B (26R)
2nd: 7V 9P 10B (26) [ re-score in progress]

ECs
-I have a first author publication for my work on microRNA and about 3 other publications in misc. work in genetics
-2000+ research hours
-100+ clinical hours
-100+ volunteer hours
-Shadowed 2 doctors (one MD/PhD and one DO)
-7+ abstracts
-1 manuscript
-2 poster presentations at national conferences
-Developed genetic software for big name institution
-Relevant Occupations: Medical technologist (current), standardized patient, DNA collector for prison, and patient transporter
-Graduated summa cumm laude

Schools Applied to:

>In-state (Submitted 5/15/2013 - secondaries submitted 5/20/2013)
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
University of Texas Houston Medical School
University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio-San Antonio Clinical Ed Campus
University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio-South Texas Clinical Ed Campus
Texas A&M University Health Science Center College of Medicine
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine at Lubbock
University of North Texas Health Science Center- Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM)
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L Foster School of Medicine at El Paso

>Out-of-state (Submitted 6/26/2013 - verification pending estimated 7/26/2013)
A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, Admissions Office, IL
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (formerly UMDNJ SOM), NJ

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have great ECs, but your MCAT won't be competitive at any MD schools. Your GPA is on the lower end as well, but you have a high upward trend, which is good. Your extended senior year sounds like a crazy one! I think your best bet is DO. Your chances at DO are very good, in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
URM and Texas will help -- You've applied broadly, so cross your fingers.

1 question - with your lowish GPA, how'd you graduate summa?

URM and Texas will help -- You've applied broadly, so cross your fingers.

1 question - with your lowish GPA, how'd you graduate summa?

Since I transferred institutions they only used my GPA from that institution, which was a 3.95

apply and relax, no need to bump. a bunch of strangers guessing your chances won't determine anything

I'm real curious where you'll be getting a response here in Texas; please update!!

With academic fresh start, my cGPA jumped to 3.6-3.7 (don't recall right now). My DO stats are quite similar, minus MCAT.

Again, keep updating!! You'll be a doc by 40, which is NOT the end of the world...40 that is :)

I'm real curious where you'll be getting a response here in Texas; please update!!

With academic fresh start, my cGPA jumped to 3.6-3.7 (don't recall right now). My DO stats are quite similar, minus MCAT.

Again, keep updating!! You'll be a doc by 40, which is NOT the end of the world...40 that is :)

Well if I get in this cycle ill graduate when I'm 29, I'm guessing a typo haha. Ill definitely let you guys know once I get an interview. I'm really hoping for TCOM i really love their facilities or UT San Antonio since my friend goes there. I'm actually at his white coat ceremony as I type this!

Last edited: