MD & DO cGPA=3.2, sGPA=2.9, SMP= 4.0, 513 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkEqueen

Reaction score
Undergrad

cGPA= 3.2 sGPA=2.9

Mom diagnosed with cancer senior year of HS. Should have dropped out from college but didn't. Many Fs and Ws. Upward trend ending with 3.8, 4.0 and 4.0 as a full time student.

Graduate SMP at Case Western

4.0 so far, will apply with 20 graduate credits.

Have the smallest exam left (need less than 50% to maintain an A) and then a P/F cumulative that doesn't go toward GPA.

MCAT= 513

CARS is my lowest section. I was (probably still am tbh) dyslexic and didn't read until later in life when I received therapy. Very traditional parents did not continue therapy and I found my study habits and visual learning at the end of college. Was thinking of writing a disadvantaged essay based on that.

Clinical

600 hrs plasma tech (didn't poke that many ppl but took vitals, hematocrit and COVID screening)

primary caregiver for terminally ill mother (this is not an activity but mentioned in PS)

20 hrs Hospice volunteer (this just opened up this year how much should I project out?)

150 ER volunteer

Non-clinical paid

600 hrs pharm tech

Leadership

145 hrs as anatomy TA

Volunteer nonclinical

150 hrs hospital receptionist

Shadowing

25 hrs radiologist oncologist

25 hrs IM

will add some e-shadowing hours, just discover this is an option

Research

134 hrs researching cause of mom's death and other public health consequences of cancer treatment. No bench research this was definitely more public health and education based, which I'm much more interested in.

20 hrs looking at brown adipose tissue and obesity. Cut short bc of COVID. I had an interesting connection to this research and illness in my family, but don't know if it's worth mentioning.

Hobbies

Cooking Chinese food for fiancé, nails (I've done bachelorette parties and cancer pts), was a beta editor for short stories, expresso making

Concerns

Obviously undergrad was rough, but I've done my best in grad school and that's the most I can do. I'm more concerned that my activates aren't robust, I'm definitely comparing myself to some people on this sub, lol. I think my hours are pretty mediocre but I can speak to them and why they were important to me. Big question: Do I look competitive enough for this cycle?

Resident of Ohio, hoping to stay in the region. Happy to add more osteopathic schools to list if there are any suggestions.

School list

Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine

OSU

The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences

University of Cincinnati College of Medicine

Northeast Ohio Medical University

Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine

Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine

Wayne State University School of Medicine

Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine

University of Michigan Medical School

Carle Illinois College of Medicine

Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science

Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center

Chicago COM

Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

Drexel University College of Medicine

Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University

Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

PCOM

Members don't see this ad.

So have you actually been dx with dyslexia? Have you gotten a record of accommodations due to it?

What do your program directors/faculty think about your chances?

What is the mission of NEOMED??? Primarily rural health. What's your experience in rural health?

So have you actually been dx with dyslexia? Have you gotten a record of accommodations due to it?

What do your program directors/faculty think about your chances?

What is the mission of NEOMED??? Primarily rural health. What's your experience in rural health?
I was dx as a child and my mom enrolled me in therapy behind my dad's back. I reached grade level proficiency at 11 after 2 years. I was recommended more therapy but my parents are very hard working people. They came as immigrants from a country that doesn't readily recognize mental health or learning disabilities. The idea is that if they could make it so could I. So I never revisited my diagnosis or have had any accommodations. Honestly, I do think this has effected my confidence and given me imposter syndrome even before I knew what that was. But it took a lot of reflection/ trial and error to come out of that. I'm not sure a diversity essay is a place to tell that story.

Not much feedback from my advisor but I told her about my concerns with my EC and she suggested I take another year to develop them. She only said that my grades in the program and MCAT were good no comment on my EC. I'm writing my activities now. I will forward it to her and see what she thinks.

You have a very good point with NEOMED. Frankly, I only considered it because it is in Ohio and the general rule is to apply to all schools in state.

All good points, I appreciate the input.

Add more DO schools to your application and I suggest these:
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
WVSOM
ACOM
UIWSOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
TUNCOM
AZCOM