cGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.42 MCAT 32Q+military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDFsoldierboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how much of a difference a military record plays (I served 2 years as a combat medic in the israeli defense forces) my cGPA is 3.3 sGPA 3.42 (I was an engineering major my first 2 yrs which is why my GPA r both low left for the military then went to another university and got a Human Biology Degree about to graduate with honors) 32Q mcat (PS10 VR11 BS11) I did undergrad research for a yr (w/ Letter of Rec) was president of several clubs non health related and held a fellowship with an Israel Advocacy group and I am currently shadowing a DO Family Practice Physician and an ER MD physician.
I applied to:
UC Davis, Irvine, San Diego, LA, SF (I am a cali resident)
southern California
UWisconsin
Michigan State University
Albert Einstein University
SUNY Downstate (dad is alumni)
UMiami
UofArizona
Ohio State University
Rush University
Rosalind Franklin
UIChicago
Stanford (never know how far military exp goes)
Duke University
Baylor

Thanks for the input

Members don't see this ad.

should also mention that I injured myself rescuing a lady which is in my personal statement. also I volunteered for 5 years at my karate studio (although that was back in the day when I was in middle school i still put it in my AMCAS) my clinical exp thru the military though not voluntary per se came to be like 17000 hrs (UC Davis 2ndary made me calculate it lol)

Unless you have continued volunteering at your karate studio, you can't list anything in high school, let alone middle school.

A military record will definitely be looked upon favorably. Depending on the specifics of your ECs, your well balanced/good MCAT, and massive clinical experience, you should have a good chance of being accepted at one of those schools despite your GPA.

Cali schools are very tough to get into though.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're a U.S. citizen who happens to be a veteran of the IDF. Wow, don't see that everyday.

my parents are american (i was born/raised in cali) and when i realized I didn't wanna be an engineer as a dual citizen I figured going into the IDF would help me find my way and ended up going to combat medic school and just rly fell in love with trauma/emergency medicine

UC Davis, Irvine, San Diego, LA, SF (I am a cali resident)
southern California
UWisconsin
Michigan State University
Albert Einstein University
SUNY Downstate (dad is alumni)
UMiami
UofArizona
Ohio State University
Rush University
Rosalind Franklin
UIChicago
Stanford (never know how far military exp goes)
Duke University
Baylor

Thanks for the input

You should really consider adding more lower/mid-tier schools. The IDF experience is certainly unique, but I don't know how schools will treat military experience from a foreign entity.

Stanford, Baylor (preference to Texas residents), Duke, OSU, Miami, UWisc, USC, and the USC schools are all fairly selective, and your numbers make get you screened out.

Yea its hard to tell I know my eye doc was on USC admissions committee a while back (it sucks hes not on it anymore) and he told me that if i got secondaries then my military exp will pull me through but he is very pro Israel and would convince the rest of the committee to let me in I dunno how other committees will view it tho they will see it as a ton of clinical experience with discipline and ability to think on my feet so hopefully its a big positive to pull me from the pool of the regulary people

I was wondering also my chances of loma linda university and UCincy.

I was wondering also my chances of loma linda university and UCincy.

Loma Linda puts a lot of emphasis on their Christian philosophy (SDA). It may clash with your Jewish background, so I would check their mission statement out and see if it appeals to you.

My dad just got an e-mail that a major SEC university (e-mail didn't say which school) is looking for a chief of neonatology for their hospital..I told him to negotiate for a spot in their med school for me first! :laugh:

anybody know what my chances will be with Drexel and Tufts? or know of other lower->mid tier med schools (i know wish i wasnt an engineering major as it rly screwed me lol)