cGPA=3.36, sGPA=3.23, MCAT=492

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tally Keys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I'm a long shot with my poor MCAT, but I wanted opinions on if I should apply this cycle and try or retake and wait considering my strong volunteer hours and experience. I really apprecaite any insight you all have for me. Thank you.
  1. cGPA= 3.09 (probably a little higher, doesn't account for 20 credits I took at community college) and sGPA= 3.08 (hoping to graduate with cGPA= 3.36 and sGPA= 3.23
  2. MCAT= 492
  3. State of residence: New York
  4. White (I was born in Ukraine and speak fluently though)
  5. Virginia Tech dual majoring in Biology & Criminology
  6. -Work as an EMT-B doing first aid at a beach over 1,480 hours ongoing. -Volunteer EMT-B at an ambulance corps (911 response) 1,900 hours ongoing. -Volunteer EMT-B at an ambulance corps near school 210 hours.
  7. Undergraduate research in phage genome annotation, etc. Not yet published but plan to have one publication. EMT-B certification, multiple FEMA certifications and CPR & AED.
  8. Plan to shadow this semester with a DO
  9. Brother/Exec member of of Alpha Chi Sigma, chemistry outreach and tutoring, I was the drive coordinator of 3 bone marrow registry drives on campus to date.
  10. Member of school's Pre-SOMA club, Equestrian club/team for a year, week-long service trip to the Dominican Republic in Spring 2015.
  11. Dean's List Fall 2015, Ambulance Awards: 2013 Volunteer of the Year, 2014 EMT of the Year, Lifesaving Medal, Top #6 Runner (6th most calls run), County Award of Excellence, Town Award for Outstanding Service.
If I do apply, was hoping for trying: VCOM, NYCOM, TouroCOM. Any more thoughts if you think I should try would be excellent.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were in your position I would focus on next cycle, retaking the MCAT if you think you can do 500+. Right now your GPA is also tough to look past. It sounds like you're a senior now? I would probably wait to see what you can do with your courses this year, and consider retaking anything below a C for DO schools that do grade replacement.

Having a DO letter from that physician you're shadowing with would also help a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not have a chance with that MCAT. How did you prepare for it? Did you prepare for it? What do you think you could improve?

You need to retake the MCAT but do not retake until you practice scores are over 500. Try and boost your GPA to at least 3.3.

Well first off , those 20 hours from CC do count so what are your GPAs with them included? Until you share the actual GPAs we really can't tell you about that area.
Secondly, a 492~20 in the old MCAT so that is another really big problem.

It's doubtful you'll be accepted with that MCAT . And depending on your real GPA you might want to look at Plan B.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This was an obvious troll post. LOL at you guys taking it seriously and bothering to respond in a kind manner.

Again, 0% chance, baby.

This was an obvious troll post. LOL at you guys taking it seriously and bothering to respond in a kind manner.

Again, 0% chance, baby.

You're probably correct. In June OP said he had a 513MCAT, in August he hadn't taken the MCAT and he wanted to cancel his 8/19 MCAT because his gf had to have surgery and now he has a 492.
Why do people waste time?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Good I-Spy eyes!

OP has been reported. That sound off in the distance you'll hear soon will be the banhammer.

You're probably correct. In June OP said he had a 513MCAT, in August he hadn't taken the MCAT and he wanted to cancel his 8/19 MCAT because his gf had to have surgery and now he has a 492.

If you can't even troll correctly, what makes you think you are fit for med school?

Reactions: 1 users
I know I'm a long shot with my poor MCAT, but I wanted opinions on if I should apply this cycle and try or retake and wait considering my strong volunteer hours and experience. I really apprecaite any insight you all have for me. Thank you.
  1. cGPA= 3.09 (probably a little higher, doesn't account for 20 credits I took at community college) and sGPA= 3.08 (hoping to graduate with cGPA= 3.36 and sGPA= 3.23
  2. MCAT= 492
  6. -Work as an EMT-B doing first aid at a beach over 1,480 hours ongoing. -Volunteer EMT-B at an ambulance corps (911 response) 1,900 hours ongoing. -Volunteer EMT-B at an ambulance corps near school 210 hours.
  7. Undergraduate research in phage genome annotation, etc. Not yet published but plan to have one publication. EMT-B certification, multiple FEMA certifications and CPR & AED.
  9. Brother/Exec member of of Alpha Chi Sigma, chemistry outreach and tutoring, I was the drive coordinator of 3 bone marrow registry drives on campus to date.
  10. Member of school's Pre-SOMA club, Equestrian club/team for a year, week-long service trip to the Dominican Republic in Spring 2015.
  11. Dean's List Fall 2015, Ambulance Awards: 2013 Volunteer of the Year, 2014 EMT of the Year, Lifesaving Medal, Top #6 Runner (6th most calls run), County Award of Excellence, Town Award for Outstanding Service.
If I do apply, was hoping for trying: VCOM, NYCOM, TouroCOM. Any more thoughts if you think I should try would be excellent.

Giving OP the benefit of the doubt. His "513" was probably on some diagnostic and now the 492 he just posted was the real score he got after the alleged GF situation. Regardless, the 492 is roughly 18-19 on the old scale. With those GPAs, lethal even with your good ECs.

2. MCAT= 492

As others have said, Your MCAT is 100% lethal.

According to the AAMC, for the 2015-2016 application cycle, ZERO applicants with a GPA and MCAT in your range were accepted to MD schools in the United States. I was unable to find a similar chart with respect to DO applicants, but one can extrapolate without too much difficulty.

Your ECs are decent, but irrelevant next to a 492, especially with cGPA = 30.9. 100% you need to retake.

My previous answer on how I prepared for the MCAT 2015 and how my performance on the actual exam compared to diagnostics/practice tests may be of use to you: Difficulty of Kaplan FL vs real MCAT for 2015 test?

Best of luck.

Tally, what was the point of lying about the 513 MCAT score? Look... if you're reading this, please take my advice: Don't go to medical school. Based on your grades, test performance, and posting inconsistencies, I do not believe you're cut out to be a doctor. Find something else you're passionate about and do that.

2. MCAT= 492
4 years later, could you proved any updates? I am in a very similar situation to you and am planning on applying to DO schools.

@JDixon
“4 years later, could you proved any updates? I am in a very similar situation to you and am planning on applying to DO schools.”

It’s actually 6 years later and it’s been over 5 years sine the OP has been on the boards. I’m not sure you’ll get a response.
Start your own thread and use the grid to describe your application. Things have changed in the past 6 years.