shadowhuntingprincess

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2017
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
I might regret asking for input, but I guess it's so I can find out if I should hold out even a sliver of hope about getting an interview (since waiting to find out myself is driving me crazy).
I'm a CO resident and purely curious what anyone thinks my chances are for U of CO.

During/since undergrad:
only 8 months research (no publications)
Where the GPA is concerned, there was a strong upward trend (no semesters below 3.0, last year around 3.75)
I have upward of 3000 hours of hospital non-clinical work
500+ hours as a Medical Assistant (and counting...) and another 1500ish in another direct patient contact position
300+ hours in volunteering, especially as a chapter organizer of a non-profit group

I believe that's the gist of me on paper.

OP
S

shadowhuntingprincess

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2017
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
I've already applied and am really just playing the waiting game now. I appreciate that you think so! I'm really hopeful since I know several of the students and have seen what an excellent school it is.

OP
S

shadowhuntingprincess

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2017
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
I've applied to a lot of DO schools. I was told, during the time in my undergrad career that consisted of a ~3.2 GPA, that I shouldn't bother trying to go MD. Either way, I believe there are a lot of strengths in the DO philosophy and, more importantly, that someone can be a good doctor regardless of her background and I will get out of med school what I put into it, no matter where I go. I was emboldened to at least give an MD school a try because it's my state's school, which had always been my first choice when I began considering medicine (and the answer is always no if you don't ask, right?), and, having seen what the school is like through the students there, I really appreciate the culture enough that I definitely want to go there. But since I can't familiarize myself with other allopathic schools at that level (due to not knowing those students personally) I wasn't interested in applying to other allopathic programs and wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on schools who might dismiss me for my GPA (even though Colorado definitely could, too).

OP
S

shadowhuntingprincess

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2017
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
Haha, I appreciate that. I do anticipate a few more. I currently have three, but they are all out of state (admittedly, my top choices for the out-of-state options, but I'd prefer to stay in state).
At any rate, I appreciate your words of encouragement. I will keep an eye out and hope for the best! If not, I do have options. Thank you for your time!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I might regret asking for input, but I guess it's so I can find out if I should hold out even a sliver of hope about getting an interview (since waiting to find out myself is driving me crazy).
I'm a CO resident and purely curious what anyone thinks my chances are for U of CO.

During/since undergrad:
only 8 months research (no publications)
Where the GPA is concerned, there was a strong upward trend (no semesters below 3.0, last year around 3.75)
I have upward of 3000 hours of hospital non-clinical work
500+ hours as a Medical Assistant (and counting...) and another 1500ish in another direct patient contact position
300+ hours in volunteering, especially as a chapter organizer of a non-profit group

I believe that's the gist of me on paper.
I suggest the following:
U VM
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Mayo
Duke
Case
Columbia
Pitt
Hofstra
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
U CO