cGPA 3.42, sGPA 3.13, MCAT 40

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cavs12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys Im a senior at a state school. My stats are cGPA 3.42 and sGPA 3.13 with 40 MCAT.

I think I have basically average or slightly above average ECs.

I did very well freshman year. Had a very, very bad beginning to soph year due to trying to do many things at once and just being an overall bad student.

Second half of soph year was decent, beginning of junior was very good but then one of my parents passed away and I had a bad end of junior year.

Senior year first semester 3.7 GPA, hoping this semester for 3.8-3.9.

Would appreciate any feedback including which schools might be realistic to apply to June (Ill have a gap year, have not applied before)

Members don't see this ad.

I highly recommend you purchase an MSAR from AAMC. $25 + shipping will get you stats and basic info on all US medical schools consolidated into one book. Much easier than digging through 130 websites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Bucks and Cat. Appreciate the responses.

My year by year is:

3.8cGPA, 3.74sGPA Year I
2.74cGPA 2.11sGPA Year II (Large impact on GPA isfirst half which was downright awful, second half was not awful but only average)
2.89cGPA 2.8sGPAYear III (First half was very, very good, but then as I mentioned in first post second half was time that tragedy happened
3.73cGPA 3.56sGPA First half of Year 4, projecting 3.8-9 for second half for both cGPA and sGPA

My bad science grades were Physics and Organic Chem, but Ive retaken almost all (still retaking last part of Physics and Orgo and hope to get As in them). Ive done well in freshman bio, medium in middle level bio classes, and done very well in upper level bio courses like Microbiology/Animal Physiology.

I have a decent amount of research experience (2/3 of frosh year, two summers, and this upcoming summer), both clinical and basic science, with a couple poster presentations and one abstract published as second author. I am definitely very interested in academic medicine as career btw.

I have clinical experience from volunteering, shadowing, and doing research in a clinical setting that allowed me to interact with patients.

I also have been involved in some political campaigns as an intern/volunteer/student leader etc.

I have a hard time believing a 40 MCAT score..but that's besides the point...

I agree with the others, you can look at the averages, but with the numbers you're posting it's difficult because you're going to be miles ahead with a "40", but way behind with your GPA.

I would apply to your state schools, then some other areas you may want to live...

Also, as an aside the fact that your GPA is improving is a good thing

I have a hard time believing a 40 MCAT score..but that's besides the point...

I agree with the others, you can look at the averages, but with the numbers you're posting it's difficult because you're going to be miles ahead with a "40", but way behind with your GPA.

I would apply to your state schools, then some other areas you may want to live...

Also, as an aside the fact that your GPA is improving is a good thing

Thanks for advice. Im really hoping that GPA improving will help! I know its funny most people think Im lying when they ask me how I did. I actually studied for MCAT solid for entire summer (no other work or classes) and took it in Sept. My breakdown is 13/15/12

My year by year is:

3.8cGPA, 3.74sGPA Year I
2.74cGPA 2.11sGPA Year II (Large impact on GPA isfirst half which was downright awful, second half was not awful but only average)
2.89cGPA 2.8sGPAYear III (First half was very, very good, but then as I mentioned in first post second half was time that tragedy happened
3.73cGPA 3.56sGPA First half of Year 4, projecting 3.8-9 for second half for both cGPA and sGPA

My bad science grades were Physics and Organic Chem, but Ive retaken almost all (still retaking last part of Physics and Orgo and hope to get As in them). Ive done well in freshman bio, medium in middle level bio classes, and done very well in upper level bio courses like Microbiology/Animal Physiology.
You did include all grades earned, even where you retook a class, even if you school "forgave" a bad grade, right?

This is how adcomms are going to see your grades laid out, year-by-year. The fact that you had a decent semester mixed into each of sophomore and junior years won't be readily apparent. One blip in the academic road isn't unusual and is often forgiven. Having two, even with good reason, will be worrisome to adcomms, so I feel it will be very important for you to address this in Secondary essays where the opportunity is offered. It is more unusual to bomb sophomore year after a great freshman year, so get a good story ready, what you learned, why it won't happen again. Your excellent MCAT score will ensure that your entire transcript is thoroughly analyzed. Retaking the prerequisites that you did poorly in was a very good idea. Taking upper-level Bio and excelling will also reflect positively and be reassuring.

Your application strategy when stats are so disparate should be to apply broadly to a range of school selectivity types. Pick out 3-5 dream schools (up to 10 if your pocketbook can handle it), at least 10 in the mid range and ten in the less-selective range. Plan on 25-30 total. Maybe this is overly conservative, but it's better to be safer than to need a second application cycle (which could happen anyway). Which brings us to concern #2:
I have a decent amount of research experience (2/3 of frosh year, two summers, and this upcoming summer), both clinical and basic science, with a couple poster presentations and one abstract published as second author.

I have clinical experience from volunteering, shadowing, and doing research in a clinical setting that allowed me to interact with patients.

I also have been involved in some political campaigns as an intern/volunteer/student leader etc.
The research sounds fine. Maybe you could be more specific about types of volunteering, years of clinical experience, total hours for that (with research and other) and nonmedical community service. Also, hours of shadowing and types of docs?

Also, tell more about the leadership and whether any teaching was done or planned? Hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors?

What did you plan for the glide year? Have you given consideration to taking additional coursework to show consistent solid performance over a longer time (not necessarily full-time)?