Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

cGPA 3.42/sGPA 3.38 MCAT 38. Chances?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by nkw22, 09.25.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. nkw22

nkw22 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Senior - Cornell College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. BS in Biology w/ concentration in Neuro. Minors in Cognitive Science and Psychology

NY Resident

cGPA - 3.42

sGPA - 3.38 (Awful freshman year for a number of reasons, started at 2.9, so strong upward trend. I easily expect to have this above a 3.4 by the end of senior year)

MCATS - Overall: 38 - PS: 14 - VR:10 - BS:14 (9/23/14)

Schools - Haven't applied anywhere yet, taking a gap year. Cornell, Columbia, NYU, Hopkins, Tufts, Einstein, Yale, Harvard, Mt. Sinai, U Rochester, Boston U, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Stonybrook, Albany, U Upstate, and a bunch of the lower-tier SUNY schools.

Research – Summer research internship at Cornell in '13 doing PCR, developing PCR protocols, DNA/RNA extraction from live tissue, and fieldwork in/around NYC bay area

Summer internship at Tufts Center for the Study of Drug Development. Mostly dealt with lots of healthcare-policy stuff and data collection. I expect to have my name on 2-3 papers published by them when they come out sometime within the next 6 months.

Also just joined a lab at Cornell that does neuro research on relative brain sizes across species, as well as timing of neural events across species. I'm pretty new, so I don't know exactly what my role will be just yet.

Volunteering (clinical) / Shadowing – None yet, about to start volunteering at my local hospital, but have to wait to go home to have my physical current. Will continue to do so during a gap year.

Non-clinical volunteering - None

Extracurricular activities - Captain and organize my schools DotA2 esports club since freshman year

Employment history - Worked in an IT department starting Freshman year until start of junior year. Left on good terms with my employer to focus on my academics.

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n) - No

Specialty of interest - Psychiatry has been my passion for forever.

Interest in rural health (y/n) - Maybe?

Post-Graduation I plan on taking a gap year and working in a hospital setting, either volunteering or doing research. Ideally I'd like to get my EMT-b certification, but we'll see how it goes. Job search is just starting.

EDIT - There's also something I've wanted to ask here. The reason my grades were so rough freshman year is because I am diagnosed with ADHD. I hadn't been taking medication during high school because I didn't particularly like it, and didn't need it to keep up with high school. Obviously Cornell was a different story. I had to cycle through 3-4 different types of medication before I found the right one for me, but basically my entire freshman year was mentally an physically exhausting going though medications that made me feel like a zombie and killed my appetite. So my question is... should I talk about this stuff when I apply? I'm afraid that AdComs will look at my diagnosis very negatively, even though I think I've proven in the last few years that I can manage my condition and still perform very well. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: 09.25.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. pollos

pollos

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Stellar MCAT, congrats. I think your lack of volunteering is going to hurt you. Even though you are beginning to volunteer, what have you been doing your first three years of college to show medicine is right for you? Work hard the next year to really show you know what you're getting yourself into.

4. nkw22

nkw22 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, I realize that now. Wish I had done something earlier, but I had a really tough transition to Cornell for a number of reasons and just tried to focus on getting my academics back where they should be. I'm planning on getting a position as a scribe and doing volunteering on top of that.

5. The Big Lebowski

The Big Lebowski 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would take out Harvard, Yale, and Hopkins and replace them with some mid to low-tier schools. Their median GPA's are hovering around 3.85-3.9 and despite your awesome MCAT, your GPA is FAR below the 10th percentile of those schools (I think Harvard's 10-90 range is like 3.7-4.0).

6. pollos

pollos

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Great, both of those will get you the experience you need! I agree with Big Lebowski too on adding more mid-tier schools and those big three schools being quite a reach due to GPA. Good luck though and I am sure you'll get in somewhere! :)

7. nkw22

nkw22 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Okay, thanks for the advice. What's considered an acceptable distance? I can see how being ~0.4 away is pretty big, but what about 0.3 and below?

About the ads