Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

cGPA: 3.437, sGPA: 3.38, MCAT 27, Olympic hopeful. Advice needed!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by SkratchThat, 05.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. SkratchThat

SkratchThat

Pre-Medical

Last edited: 10.19.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Have you considered delaying your application until next cycle (sorry!).

4. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    I know you're banking on the Olympics making uup for your numbers, but they won't. You're not competitive for MD schools, unless you're from, say, a midwestern or southern state. You're fine for any DO school.

If you're boning for the MD degree, heed my learned colleague gyngyn and wait a year. Get that MCAT >30 if you want to be taken seriously.

I have a strong Personal Statement, strong LORs, no research yet but will start data collection on an athlete concussion study this summer through next year (I know I can't indicate any "future" research on the AMCAS but could probably bring it up in interviews or secondaries if I get them), minimal physician shadowing - 'clinical' work has been mostly changing bandages on teammates' crash wounds, lots of volunteering with BikeMS groups (large organization that raises funds for Multiple Sclerosis research), leadership experience with starting a small cycling-related company. I know I'm a pretty lop-sided candidate but I'm hoping some school will think it's pretty cool :)

Note: I'd like to take a stab at MD but not to Caribbean.

I really appreciate any advice![/QUOTE]

5. alpinism

alpinism Give Em' the Jet Fuel 5+ Year Member

Agree with the above. Your sGPA and MCAT take you out of the running at nearly all MD schools.

If you want MD you'll need to do a 1 year post bacc or SMP plus consider retaking your MCAT for a 30+ score.

6. SkratchThat

SkratchThat

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the suggestions!

7. kingD0M

kingD0M

Pre-Medical
    I have to say that as a fellow collegiate athlete, all be it not an olympian, the amount of time that gets taken for training alone (not travel or games or resting after the gym etc.) is more than substantial. You need to find a way to incorporate that dedication and experience into your personal statements. The experience you have outside of school can not be matched by traditional pre-meds and you need to find a way to convey how it will help you in your career as a physician. (there are many ways this happens but make sure you are sincere, i.e. an orthopedic surgeon who also runs marathons can relate to the disappointment a runner might feel after hip surgery...)

That being said, with a 3.43 GPA that could have probably been a lot higher if you weren't cycling around the globe and training for hours upon hours, you still need to prove that you know what your doing which probably requires a better score on the MCAT. I will admit that I am in a similar situation as the captain and lead point scorer for three seasons, my GPA suffered a little despite my competence in each subject. My advisor basically told me what I told you, that a solid score on the MCAT will be necessary so admissions committees will take my application seriously.

Your olympic experiences will help but ultimately they won't look at your application without 'some' numbers to back you up.

Good luck, next year at the qualifiers and everything. : )

8. ichor

ichor

Pre-Medical
    @Goro why does being from the Midwest or south give OP more of a chance? And does that only go for permanent residence? (ie does going to school in these region help)

9. SkratchThat

SkratchThat

Pre-Medical

Last edited: 10.19.14
  10. zzxxzz

zzxxzz 2+ Year Member

Less competitive applicant pools, frankly. Many people don't want to go to the South, and East/West coasters think the Midwest is corn fields and nothing else :rolleyes:

Valid points, but many medical schools won't even look at the rest of the application when they see a 33rd percentile MCAT score.

kingD0M likes this.
  11. Daddy O

Daddy O

Pre-Medical
    [/QUOTE]
    No it DOES NOT, My son had a 27 MCAT, 3.68 GPA and 3.5 SGPA, HEs white, and applied to 8 DO schools and 6 MD schools. accepted at one DO, and accepted at one MD. Waitlisted at two more MD schools was offered 12 interviews, so YOU CAN do this, Don't give up

12. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", and outliers represent poor examples.

People come to SDN for realistic advice, not Pollyannish rah rah "my cousin got into Harvard with a 2.5 GPA, so you can too!" encouragement.

Your son's MCAT score is circling the drain for MD schools, but you may live in a lucky state, like TX, LA or KS, where the 10th %iles of the MCAT go down as low as 25-27.

No it DOES NOT, My son had a 27 MCAT, 3.68 GPA and 3.5 SGPA, HEs white, and applied to 8 DO schools and 6 MD schools. accepted at one DO, and accepted at one MD. Waitlisted at two more MD schools was offered 12 interviews, so YOU CAN do this, Don't give up[/QUOTE]

md-2020 likes this.
  13. candbgirl

candbgirl Junior Member 10+ Year Member

No it DOES NOT, My son had a 27 MCAT, 3.68 GPA and 3.5 SGPA, HEs white, and applied to 8 DO schools and 6 MD schools. accepted at one DO, and accepted at one MD. Waitlisted at two more MD schools was offered 12 interviews, so YOU CAN do this, Don't give up[/QUOTE]

You do know this thread is almost the years old, right? Don't know what happened to OP but since you bumped his old thread maybe he'll come back and tell us.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

About the ads