MD & DO cGPA 3.49, sGPA 3.48, MCAT 507, CA Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fishman214

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Most of the information is in the title. Currently a Senior, about to graduate. Additional information...

Strong upward trend in GPA. (2.7 to 3.5 [projected], one full year with a 4.0 [projected, graduating in May]). I have consistently been employed ~25 hours/wk while going to school full time with an average course load of 17 units/sem. I struggled when I lost my mother in December of 2015; after this happened, I was resolved in terms of life and career direction for medicine. I have been married for a year and a half (my wife is truly incredible FYI; very pertinent to the topic at hand ;)).

Experience:

Shadowing - ~60 hrs (DO/MD)

Research, 1 year, 1 publication

Pursuing clinical work upon graduation in May (ED technician, scribe, or EMT certification)

Interesting things:

Music is a secondary profession of mine. I work with my aforementioned wife, who is an accomplished singer/songwriter, as a supporting musician. I have been a musician for six years, and travel frequently with her.

Purchased MSAR and am compiling a school list, though I recognize my GPA is low for MD. Will definitely include a large amount of DO programs on my list. Is the best course of action to not apply this cycle, or should I apply broadly and hope for the best?

I strongly desire to get involved with volunteer and experiential opportunities while I'm not in medical school. Obviously, this is a wonderful way to improve my image. However, those benefits are secondary. you don't need a professional degree to apply yourself and do good in this world; we each have the ability to do so every day, and this is the heart of the good physician - applying oneself as a force for healing as a servant of their fellow man. But though I'm a borderline applicant, I also have to be realistic about improving my image. As a California resident, there is a deep need in the San Joaquin valley for healthcare professionals and will be focusing my efforts there.

Any information to contribute to this journey is appreciated. I greatly appreciate your time. I'm hopeful and excited for the future.

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 10 in June and submit all your secondaries by July. For MD look at the MSAR and concentrate on OOS private schools where your GPA and MCAT are above the 10% percentile.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply. It's helpful to have the encouragement along the way.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest the following:

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Rosy Franklin
MCW
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Netter
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate the reply, Goro. I will definitely be applying to DO programs due to a strong alignment of my values with the philosophy driving the education. Thank you for the list as well; your time taken to compile it is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile