cGPA 3.49 sGPA ? MCAT retaking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatsbyK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys what are my chances for MD? I think I have a good shot for DO, but wanna go for MD if possible.

I graduated with a cGPA of 3.49 I think my sGPA is around 3.28 (yikes) I took more classes than necessary I had 2 extra math classes and an extra bio that I did poorly in and one of my biology classes is notoriously hard but none the less B+. (I calculated it by adding all my CHE, PHYS, BIO, MAT classes together. I took the MCAT once already and had a 29R last summer (kinda poor) with break down of 11PS, 6VR, 12BS. (This was using the crappy Kaplan method). I have since used both ExamKrackers and TBR books to supplement my knowledge and hopefully can score higher.

I Majored in Health Sciences with a concentration in Emergency and Critical Care.
I am also EMT-B certified (Fall 2011).

EC:
I was a Orgo TA for my junior year averaging 10-16 HRS per week to help students for the entire school year.

I was in my schools Handball club for 4 years. Freshman and sophomore year I was an active participant, Junior year I became secretary of the E-Board and senior year I was elected Vice-President. I learned to manage the club, funds associated with the club. We ran lots of practices for our annual collegiate competition in various states such as Arizona, Florida, etc. The team won national recognition and brought back medals and awards to various places (1st place womens, 2nd place mens singles, 1st place mens, etc) Our club also ran a school wide handball tournament each semester.

Clinical Experience:
I volunteered at my schools hospital in a general nursing floor. I probably have around 100 hours. My school does not allow us to do anything TO patients but we are allowed to help nurses, etc. I generally ran to stock, get items, and deliver anything the patients needed/wanted.

I also had 20 hours of experience riding in an ambulance for my EMT training. I had hands on patient-to-patient care. Each ride averaging 1 call per hour so I had a couple of cases each time.

I am looking to apply broadly around the NYC and upstate area as well as Boston.

Members don't see this ad.

Right now you're fine for any DO program (including mine), but you're really below avg for MD schools, especially with the imbalanced MCAT. If you're hurting for the MD, then re-take and score 10/10/10 at a minimum.

Shoot for low-tiers like Rosy Franklin, MCW, SLU, NYMC.

Hey guys what are my chances for MD? I think I have a good shot for DO, but wanna go for MD if possible.

I graduated with a cGPA of 3.49 I think my sGPA is around 3.28 (yikes) I took more classes than necessary I had 2 extra math classes and an extra bio that I did poorly in and one of my biology classes is notoriously hard but none the less B+. (I calculated it by adding all my CHE, PHYS, BIO, MAT classes together. I took the MCAT once already and had a 29R last summer (kinda poor) with break down of 11PS, 6VR, 12BS. (This was using the crappy Kaplan method). I have since used both ExamKrackers and TBR books to supplement my knowledge and hopefully can score higher.

I Majored in Health Sciences with a concentration in Emergency and Critical Care.
I am also EMT-B certified (Fall 2011).

EC:
I was a Orgo TA for my junior year averaging 10-16 HRS per week to help students for the entire school year.

I was in my schools Handball club for 4 years. Freshman and sophomore year I was an active participant, Junior year I became secretary of the E-Board and senior year I was elected Vice-President. I learned to manage the club, funds associated with the club. We ran lots of practices for our annual collegiate competition in various states such as Arizona, Florida, etc. The team won national recognition and brought back medals and awards to various places (1st place womens, 2nd place mens singles, 1st place mens, etc) Our club also ran a school wide handball tournament each semester.

Clinical Experience:
I volunteered at my schools hospital in a general nursing floor. I probably have around 100 hours. My school does not allow us to do anything TO patients but we are allowed to help nurses, etc. I generally ran to stock, get items, and deliver anything the patients needed/wanted.

I also had 20 hours of experience riding in an ambulance for my EMT training. I had hands on patient-to-patient care. Each ride averaging 1 call per hour so I had a couple of cases each time.

I am looking to apply broadly around the NYC and upstate area as well as Boston.

Hi I retook my MCATS about 2 weeks ago. On my practices I have been hitting 32-34 composite scores on the MCAT. Assuming I get that I need help finalizing my AMCAS and wanted help about my choices of schools I picked.

I want to stay around the east coast most preferably about 2-3 States away from NY.

MD SCHOOLS:
Albany Medical
Albert Einstein
Hofsta
Mount Sinai
NYMC
NYU
SUNY upstate
SUNY downstate
SUNY Stony
SUNY buffalo
Drexel UCM
Jefferson Medical
Temple USM
Boston University

DO schools:
Touro NY
NYIT

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
NYCOM and NYIT are the same school.
Touro-NY is the other DO school in New York. Good luck waiting for your MCAT!

Thanks! Does my choice of school fit around my stats?

I have retaken and scored a 31. How does my choices fit around my stats? I am also considering adding Rutgers, Rochester onto my MD and Nova, PA DO schools, and New England DO schools to the list as well.