cGPA 3.5 bcpmGPA 3.65, 28N

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charlie Work

master of karate
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is your state of residence?

Members don't see this ad :)
take FSU off your list. not OOS friendly at all.

Take Arizona off too, not OOS friendly.

Sounds like you have good reasoning skills (VR of 11 is quite good), but you didn't study for the MCAT very well. BS of 8 is really gonna hurt. You've gotta get that up to 10+. Your ECs aren't going to matter if you can't get over the numbers hump. You're going to be late in the cycle by the time you retake and get the new score back. And I doubt you could get much quality studying done in the meantime.

If you're set on MD, you might have to apply again next year. If you're interested, you could apply to osteopathic schools this cycle. You might have a decent shot going that route. Good luck!!

Thanks. I work full time so I don't think I could pull off the studying needed to improve my score by the end of August. I spent the majority of my study time teaching myself Physics and not really focusing on Bio (which tuned out to mostly be genetics) because I was doing well in the practice tests.
So I think what I plan on doing is to complete the application process for the schools that I already submitted the primary to, (only 3 I think) and to schedule a retake next May.

Thanks. I work full time so I don't think I could pull off the studying needed to improve my score by the end of August. I spent the majority of my study time teaching myself Physics and not really focusing on Bio (which tuned out to mostly be genetics) because I was doing well in the practice tests.
So I think what I plan on doing is to complete the application process for the schools that I already submitted the primary to, (only 3 I think) and to schedule a retake next May.

Yeah, I work full-time too...so I know what you mean. I found that a formal classroom prep course helped me tremendously. Very good way to review those old science courses, and to figure out what is being tested on recent tests. Genetics, developmental bio are big now, as you mentioned. So, if you can scrape up the money to pay for a prep course, you could do that in the Spring, and then test again in April/May. Plus, you can learn the really high yield physics/inorganic stuff to bump that PS up to 10+.

That sounds like a good plan, IMO.