cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.3, no MCAT yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nfh21500

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Florida resident, Neurobio major, Chem/English minor
cGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.3
I have shadowing experience
Three years of research, multiple national conference presentations and two publications
I am taking a year off to work in a hospital as a phlebotomist and continue to take science classes to improve my GPA
I haven't taken the MCAT yet but have been scoring ~32-34 consistently
My GPA is low because of extensive family problems throughout the four years (deaths, hospitalizations), but my grades have had an upward trend during my senior year

I have back up plans lined up (applying to masters programs), but I am going to attempt to apply to MD and DO schools just to give it a try. Caribbean schools are not an option. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions of schools to apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Until you have a decent amount of clinical experience, where you actively engage sick people, you are not ready to apply (shadowing, being a passive observership doesn't count). A year from now when you've been obtaining it on a weekly basis, whether as a volunteer or a phlebotomist, you will be a good candidate for DO schools with an MCAT score of 25+. If you get your BCPM GPA up higher and have a cGPA of 3.6, with a MCAT score of 31, you'd be a good candidate for MD schools.

Trying to select schools without knowing your application stats won't be very helpful.