MD & DO cGPA: 3.5, sGPA 3.31, MCAT 31

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LabTech12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am hoping for some honest feedback. MD and DO, will be a reapplicant to MD schools from 2013. Female, white, Colorado resident.

cGPA- 3.5, sGPA- 3.3
-upward trend (4.0 in last 45 credits)
Old MCAT: 31 (2012)
New MCAT: 519 (2016)

Clinical Experience:
- 6000 hours lab tech
-200 hours clinical volunteering
- 70 hours shadowing various specialties

Research Experience:
- 200 hours research assistant (no publications)

Other:
- Division 1 college athlete
- 300 hours Organic chemistry tutor
- 30 hours non clinical volunteering

MD List:
University of Colorado
University of Illinois
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Albany
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Wake Forest
Drexel
Temple
University of Arizona - Tuscon
Western Michigan

DO list:
Rocky Vista
CCOM
AZCOM
AT still AZ
PCOM
Marian U
Tuoro - CA

Thank you for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recommend:

U CO
U IL
SIU IF you grew up in the southern part of the state
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Any DO program, starting with RVU, SOMA, AZCOM, TUNCOM and DMU

I can't recommend CNU, or LUCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately my score is from 2012, so it is expired even for schools accepting the old MCAT :(

Hello! Exciting news, I just received my new MCAT score and I got a 519!! (SOOOO ECSTATIC) Does this change my school list? Also, does it change the number of DO schools I should apply to?? I am aware that many schools will average my old 31 with this score, which would put it right around 514.

Thank you! @Goro @Faha @gyngyn

Hello! Exciting news, I just received my new MCAT score and I got a 519!! (SOOOO ECSTATIC) Does this change my school list? Also, does it change the number of DO schools I should apply to?? I am aware that many schools will average my old 31 with this score, which would put it right around 514.

Thank you! @Goro @Faha @gyngyn
I wouldn't consider DOs anymore. You'll average out to a 514-515 and should be fine for MD, is there any way to increase your GPA before applying?

Highly unlikely :( that is my gpa after a DIY post-bacc. I have a 4.0 in my last 45 credits (all upper division science) that I'm hoping will help. Since I have so many credits now it would require quite a bit more to make a significant impact. And I would much rather go to a DO school like CCOM/AZCOM/Touros rather than waiting another year and spending more money on non-medical school academics.

Consider adding the following:

BU
Columbia
Duke
Case
UCSF (yes, UCSF)
Vandy

Highly unlikely :( that is my gpa after a DIY post-bacc. I have a 4.0 in my last 45 credits (all upper division science) that I'm hoping will help. Since I have so many credits now it would require quite a bit more to make a significant impact. And I would much rather go to a DO school like CCOM/AZCOM/Touros rather than waiting another year and spending more money on non-medical school academics.

Thank you @Goro! @GrapesofRath @Faha @gyngyn @WedgeDawg any advice?

I have a new school list, any feedback welcome! I would like to cut a few off. ** are schools I am a reapplicant at

University of Chicago** (My entire family went here and they were very helpful last time around)
Duke
Columbia
Case Western
U of Michigan
UCSF
USC
U of Virginia
U of Rochester
Emory
Thomas Jefferson
Dartmouth
University of Miami
Mayo - Arizona
U of Colorado (state school/top choice!)
Tulane
Loyola**
Wake Forest
NYMC
University of Vermont
Albany
Temple
U of Illinois**
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin**
VCU
U of Arizona - Phoenix
Rush**
Roseman

DO Schools:
Rocky Vista
CCOM
AZCOM
Touro - CA
Touro - NV

Last edited:
Here is a more realistic list. The reaches you had do not need the donations; take your dad out to dinner for Father's Day instead.

U of Rochester
Emory
Thomas Jefferson
Dartmouth
University of Miami
U of Colorado (state school/top choice!)
Tulane
Loyola**
Wake Forest
NYMC
University of Vermont
Albany
Temple
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin**
VCU
Rush**
Roseman

DO Schools:
Rocky Vista
CCOM
AZCOM
Touro - CA
Touro - NV
Add: MUCOM
Western
DMU
SOMA
Western-OR
PacNW

Thanks everyone for the help! I ended up with 5 MD acceptances (still waiting on 2 post-II), 3 WL and 3 DO acceptances! Low GPAs and reapplications can be overcome! I will be matriculating at one of my "reach/dream" schools!

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations, that's incredible!

I'm in a similar situation as you were in a year ago except my MCAT score isn't expired. But seeing this is making me strongly consider a retake.

I definitely do not recommend retaking a perfectly good MCAT score. It's a lot of work for a big risk!

Reactions: 1 user
A couple of Chicago schools, a couple low yield East Coast schools, and then I was accepted to Pitt and withdrew all my waitlists!

EDIT: also the 3 DO schools I applied to

Reactions: 1 users
A couple of Chicago schools, a couple low yield East Coast schools, and then I was accepted to Pitt and withdrew all my waitlists!

EDIT: also the 3 DO schools I applied to
What did you do to improve your MCAT so much? Also, do you think the 45 credits 4.0 DIY was a factor? I'm currently on a DIY track now.

What did you do to improve your MCAT so much? Also, do you think the 45 credits 4.0 DIY was a factor? I'm currently on a DIY track now.

Definitely the current grade trend helped. I think I just studied better. The first time I was 19 and had not figured out the best study habits yet.