MD cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.36

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onelastpuff23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deletef?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello

My apologies given I've posted here before. I have a specific question to ask.

I have a cGPA 3.59 and a BCPM GPA 3.36
I have a BS in a science field.
I also have an MPH along with two pending publications (1 first author)

I am more concerned about what I did after my MPH. I know in the US they are considered Post-Bacc but in Canada, they are listed as "Non-Degree".

After my MPH I looked for work and did two courses (12 credit hours) but they were non BCPM . brought cGPA to 3.5

This year I am taking 24-30 credits (still unsure) two of which are BCPM. My aim is to increase my cGPA to about 3.57 or so and my BCMP GPA to about 3.45 or so. How does taking non-science course to increase GPA look to adcoms, especially at this point?
Unless the nonscience coursework is somehow relevant to med school, like Psychology and other Behavioral Sciences, or is a retake of a really low grade, particularly in a prerequisite like English, I think you'd be better off sticking to science and relevant math (eg Stats,) which will increase both numbers if you excel.

Concur

Unless the nonscience coursework is somehow relevant to med school, like Psychology and other Behavioral Sciences, or is a retake of a really low grade, particularly in a prerequisite like English, I think you'd be better off sticking to science and relevant math (eg Stats,) which will increase both numbers if you excel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Understandably, it would have been IDEAL to have taken 28-30 credits in BCPM courses. However, given my work schedule , it just would not have been feasible. I would have done worse. I thought a compromise taking 12 credits in BCPM and other courses to increase my cGPA and BCPM GPA would have been fruitful..

In addition, I took the non-BCPM courses to improve my other weaknesses including writing. Could I make a case that a history course helped in this regard ?

Would having these non-BCPM courses be a negative on my application?

non-BCPM courses will not be a negative, but if you have the time and resources, focus exclusively on BCPM courses, as they will increase both your sGPA and cGPA. and why would you need to improve your writing?

non-BCPM courses will not be a negative, but if you have the time and resources, focus exclusively on BCPM courses, as they will increase both your sGPA and cGPA. and why would you need to improve your writing?

I had to decide whether I had to increase my BCPM GPA or my cGPA prior to this year which stood as 3.36 and 3.5 respectively. I was told both were below average and with some calculations , I thought taking more courses along with some BCPM would help my cause best -- it would increase both my cGPA and BCPM.

As for writing, I figure that to be an important part of my career as I have already published some papers, and intend to do so in the future -- hopefully during residency.