cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.4, MCAT 38

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x3virgie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a relatively low GPA (both science and cumulative) but an extremely high MCAT.
I've also done LOTS of clinical work and community service, but absolutely NO research.
  • Volunteered twice abroad in Ecuador and Peru
  • Health worker in the dorms
  • Hospital volunteer for a year
  • Volunteered at a homeless shelter for a year
  • Part of community service fraternity (APO)

There's a bunch of other stuff like a part-time job and other non-medically related organizations that I am part of, but I'm not completely sure where I fall in terms of which schools to apply to.

I'm currently a fourth year Public Health and Microbial Biology double major at UC Berkeley.

I'm planning to apply next cycle. I'm also trying to figure out what I should do for the gap year. Is my GPA low enough to warrant a postbach program? Should I find a job?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a relatively low GPA (both science and cumulative) but an extremely high MCAT.
I've also done LOTS of clinical work and community service, but absolutely NO research.
  • Volunteered twice abroad in Ecuador and Peru
  • Health worker in the dorms
  • Hospital volunteer for a year
  • Volunteered at a homeless shelter for a year
  • Part of community service fraternity (APO)

There's a bunch of other stuff like a part-time job and other non-medically related organizations that I am part of, but I'm not completely sure where I fall in terms of which schools to apply to.

I'm currently a fourth year Public Health and Microbial Biology double major at UC Berkeley.

I'm planning to apply next cycle. I'm also trying to figure out what I should do for the gap year. Is my GPA low enough to warrant a postbach program? Should I find a job?

Thanks! :)

No you do not need a post-bacc especially IF you have an upward trend. Your GPA is honestly not that bad and your MCAT score more than balances out your GPA assuming you have a balanced score. Your ECs are wonderful too!
I would personally say in the gap year look into more leadership qualities such as tutoring and some more research then you'll be golden. Even now with what you have you stand a very good chance of an acceptance to medical schools. Just make sure your transcripts are sent in end of April/beginning of May. Your LORs are sent in beginning of June, Your primary is submitted in June and your secondaries are submitted no later than mid-July. Try to keep your school list close to 20 just to be on the safe side. Also make sure you don't apply to all "top-tiered" schools. Keep at least 10 low-leveled schools. I personally don't believe in tiers but I'm just using SDN terminology here. Good luck!

get some leadership and you should be fine. apply broadly

Members don't see this ad :)
I also forgot to mention my writing score on the MCAT was low. How much do they pay attention to that?

Download this google.doc spreadsheet data, so you can fill in your own stats, and it will tell you for which US med schools you're competitive. Next look at the out-of-state matriculation data before you do further research on each school for "fit," removing any from your list that mainly serve in-state students: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

I think you're fine to apply to 20 schools only, excluding any reaches you decide to go for. I'd also check the MSAR for the bottom tenth percentile for cGPA and BCPM for schools on your preliminary list so you don't include any where you're below their bottom tenth percentile median for acceptees.

The writing score is mainly for Canadian schools. Be sure your superbly crafted Personal Statement and Secondary essays belie your writing score.

Besides tutoring, what other leadership opportunities do you mean?
Something like a class TA?

I was thinking about getting a job as a medical scribe. I'm looking more for something that will provide me with money while applying...

Besides tutoring, what other leadership opportunities do you mean?
Something like a class TA?

I was thinking about getting a job as a medical scribe. I'm looking more for something that will provide me with money while applying...
Medical Scribe is a near perfect experience, as it includes both clinical experience and shadowing. If you got paid to do it, that would be terrific.

Tutoring, TA, mentoring, and coaching are generally listed on the application under the Teaching category.

The Leadership category could include member of frat governing council or chair of community service projects team, president or founder of a special interest group, organizing a fundraiser, directing a play, training new employees at work or health workers in the dorm, running a committee for Habitat for Humanity or the Homeless Shelter.