cGPA 3.51, sGPA 3.5, no MCAT yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mw1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also have slightly under a year of research experience, over 200 hours of volunteering experience (about 60 of which was shadowing) and multiple other leadership and extra-curricular activities. I'm also going to be doing an SMP, but am applying the summer before I start (now), so not sure how big of a difference that will make.

I'm taking the MCAT on July 30 and am aiming for a 32+. Let's say, hypothetically, I end up with a 32. How then would my chances look at a school like UMDNJ (I am a NJ resident)? This is also taking into consideration that I'm taking the MCATs late thus applying late for this cycle.

Also, should I send out my primary applications now and then update them with an MCAT score when I get it, or is it better to wait until I get the MCAT score to send them at all?

Members don't see this ad.

If you had a 32 and a 3.51, you'd have a decent chance of an acceptance at your state schools this cycle if you applied early. By applying at the end of August a good chunk of that chance goes away. I think it would benefit you to apply now to one school without the score if you have any degree of confidence that your score will be competitive. The MCAT score will be automatically released when it returns, without you doing anything, to all AMCAS schools to which you apply. At that point you could add more schools, and the entire Primary will be released to all the additional schools within one business day.

Start the process NOW! It could take like 8 weeks to get verified. Once your MCAT available, it will take only a very short time to add in more schools and submit.

Good luck on the MCAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, and thanks for the good luck wish (I'm gonna need it!). I will start completing my primaries this week. Hopefully I can make up for the delayed application with a higher MCAT score.

Why are you doing a SMP? If you're applying now, it won't help to boost your GPA and to me, just serves as wasted money. Remember you're going to be coming out of medical school with probably over 100k in debt. Just find a job in a health-related area so you're still getting medically-related skills (research, clinical research, non-profit work, etc.).

Why are you doing a SMP? If you're applying now, it won't help to boost your GPA and to me, just serves as wasted money. Remember you're going to be coming out of medical school with probably over 100k in debt. Just find a job in a health-related area so you're still getting medically-related skills (research, clinical research, non-profit work, etc.).

I'm doing the SMP at my state medical school, so I'm hoping it gives me the opportunity to network a little bit. Also, if I do well in their classes, I'm hoping that might score some extra points with them if and when I go for an interview (the classes are administered by them after all). I guess it's more just being nervous about getting in ... I really don't want to have to delay another year. :-/