MD & DO fafsa 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patronj

ms1
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for any DO school. The UC's will all be a true long shot with below average stats but you can give it a go and see what happens.

You are competitive for any DO school. The UC's will all be a true long shot with below average stats but you can give it a go and see what happens.

based on the new MCAT 2015 scale, what would be considered a competitive score for a UC school?

Members don't see this ad :)
For MD you could add these schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
You are competitive for any DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
based on the new MCAT 2015 scale, what would be considered a competitive score for a UC school?

With a 3.5 GPA it is going to be an uphill climb. I hate putting exact numbers on these things but a 30 with a 3.5 probably isn't good enough.

If you want an exact guideline 514+ might give you some reference(again the higher the MCAT the better and even a 3.5/518 at any particular UC will have fairly long odds its just so competitive). Note the UC MCAT averages were in the 32-35 type range(give or take a point I'm not looking at MSAR as I type this). So you do the math; 516 is around what a 35 is and 511 is what around a 32 is. Given your GPA is below average, the higher your MCAT is the better off you'll be. Also this also depends on where in Cali you live( ie UC Riverside is an option mainly for those in the inland empire).

Orange county CA.
I would like a guideline for MCAT help, would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm using resources at work and am looking to take the MCAT again (we have KAPLAN, PR, and EK books)
My cGPA is low as my first semester freshman year I had a 2.6 GPA but made deans list (3.5+) every semester after that, with no grades lower than a B
Thanks
Upward trend definitely in your favor. MCAT is still on the lowside for UC schools. Would recommend buying the MSAR and targeting MD schools near your stats. For DO, apply anywhere that doesn't have IS bias and you should have several II's.

Chances excellent. Suggest adding Western-OR, MUCOM, CCOM, KCUMB, AZCOM and SOMA
DO:
TUCOM -CA
WESTERN U - POMONA CA
TUCOM - NV
TUCOM - NY
AT STILL - Kirksvill + SOMA
MSUCOM

Best for UCI and UCD (and UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire)
Any CA schools

Fine for these
Loyola (Stritch) Medical School Chicago, ILL
Rush Medical School Chicago, ILL
Rosalind Frankling ILL

Low for this. VaTech is hard to get into, period.
VT Carillion