cGPA: 3.52, sGPA: 3.62, MCAT: 35N, TX resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTroll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
average rec letter, 100 hours volunteering, and no shadowing experience.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely think you need to get some shadowing experience under your belt. Were your volunteer hours clinical? When you get to interviews, schools are going to be asking you if you know what the day in the life of a doctor consists of. I think you have a solid MCAT and decent GPA foundation to work of off and that is what a lot of people on here wish they could build on. I think if you get some clinical experience and shadowing hours, the sky is the limit. Best of luck!

average rec letter, 100 hours volunteering, and no shadowing experience.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Any non-medical volunteering, research, leadership, other notable ECs?

Your GPA is okay, but your MCAT should be enough for you to be competitive at every school in Texas (UTSW might be a reach with the GPA, but I'm not quite sure how their cut-offs work; Baylor is probably a reach, but still worth applying).

At the very least, I would try to get some shadowing in at some point in the summer (if nothing else, so you can tell your interviewer that you have some experience with what the day-to-day life of a physician entails).

Thanks, guys.

The volunteering hours are indeed clinical hours at a level I trauma center.

I have a little non-medical related research experience in engineering, but no other noticeable ECs, which kinda worries me a bit.

I'll definitely try to find some shadowing opportunities if possible this summer.

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciate it!