cGPA: 3.64, MCAT: 32, (Canadian Med Schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxelhs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't got back my MCAT but realistically expecting a 11/9/12. First year GPA was 3.16, then 3.79 and 3.96 (hoping the upward trend might be looked at in a positive way).

ECs include something like 600+ hours volunteeering (hospitals, patient interventions to prevent cognitive decline in hospitals, completion of all grades RCM along with all the theory, volunteering in a charity home during the war a few years back, sports outside of school and intramurals during school year).

Research: individual laboratory study in visual development lab + upcoming undergrad thesis.

The first year GPA is killing me and I don't have a full year of orgo w/ lab and physics w/ lab so I'm really only looking at 5 maybe 6 schools in Ontario + maybe a few out of province.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This forum has mostly American medical students.

Canadian schools are mostly easy. They don't care about your ECs unless you meet their cutoff. Do the calculations for each school yourself.

You probably missed out on UOttawa and Western. YOu're left with NOSM, UTORONTO, MAC, and Queens. Take a shot with those schools.

Canadian schools are mostly easy. They don't care about your ECs unless you meet their cutoff. Do the calculations for each school yourself.

You probably missed out on UOttawa and Western. YOu're left with NOSM, UTORONTO, MAC, and Queens. Take a shot with those schools.

I know I might miss out on Western because of the verbal, but why do you say UOttawa?

UOttawa uses 1xyear1, 2xyear2, 3xyear3, all divided by 6=GPA

Reactions: 1 user
Haven't got back my MCAT but realistically expecting a 11/9/12. First year GPA was 3.16, then 3.79 and 3.96 (hoping the upward trend might be looked at in a positive way).

ECs include something like 600+ hours volunteeering (hospitals, patient interventions to prevent cognitive decline in hospitals, completion of all grades RCM along with all the theory, volunteering in a charity home during the war a few years back, sports outside of school and intramurals during school year).

Research: individual laboratory study in visual development lab + upcoming undergrad thesis.

The first year GPA is killing me and I don't have a full year of orgo w/ lab and physics w/ lab so I'm really only looking at 5 maybe 6 schools in Ontario + maybe a few out of province.

Any thoughts?
You can't do ottawa... UofT basically no chance unless you do a grad degree and get some serious pubs. Mac very little to no chance unless you destroy the casper and I'm talking like 100% perfect. Northern no chance. Western you don't meet the cutoffs unless you live in western ontario? If you do then your interview is guaranteed. Queens pretty much no chance as they want a 10 in each section.
All of this is is based off of that anticipated MCAT score. A 10 in verbal will open the door to queens, 11 in verbal will open western/mac.

Out of province... I can't think of anywhere besides UBC that would be fine with that MCAT breakdown.

I recommend seeing how your MCAT goes and then retaking it to get a 10+ in each section where you'll have more doors opened.