cGPA: 3.67 sGPA: 3.68 MCAT: 518 wamc/school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trust_The_Process_35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: Biomedical Engineering/Electrical Engineering Double Major
Undergrad Institution: Southern State School
State of residence: PA
ORM

cGPA: 3.67 BPCM: 3.68
MCAT: 518

Clinical Volunteer: 400 hours total --> combination of hospice/nursing assistant

Nonclinical Volunteer: 200 hours as social work volunteer, 100 hours tutoring immigrants

Research: 2000 hours Computational Neuroscience Lab (3 first author publications in various neuroscience/imaging journals, 10 posters), 250 hours in a Public Health lab

Shadowing: 75 hours across neurosurgery, ortho, cardiology

Extracurriculars: Cofounded a social justice club on campus (VP), Robotics Club

I will be applying this upcoming cycle and am struggling with a school list (limited funds). Obviously my gpa and volunteering hours are nothing to write home about. Outside of my state schools (PA), I am struggling to compose a list.

Hoping I can stick with a mid tier school somewhere cause my gpa is hella low for top 40. What other school suggestions might you guys have?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth-Geisinger
Pitt
U Penn
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Rochester
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Duke
Miami
Tulane
Case Western
Mayo-Arizona
St. Louis

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I am not an expert, but I feel like I can contribute since I had very similar stats to you and just finished my cycle. I had a lot of luck at top 10-30s (even some considered stat-******, but maybe they are changing their ways?). My volunteering was good and non-cookie cutter, but not outstanding (like yours). I had a great research background, but not nearly as productive as yours in terms of pubs.

I think your hours aren't outstanding but they certainly check the box. What I think is important is how you pitch your activities - make them sound interesting and out of the ordinary (tutoring immigrants sounds pretty cool). Also give yourself a good narrative and how the things you did all tied together.

Honestly you have a pretty excellent MCAT and while the GPA is lowish for the top schools, throw your app out there since you never know how it will turn out. Especially if you are above the 10th percentile for GPA but near median for MCAT - I think the productive research will mean a lot for those schools.

Obviously keep a solid mid-tier base just in case. Since you have limited funds, keep it to some of the good schools on the East Coast that you are really interested in... I'd suggest adding some of these on to your state schools and mid-tier base.

Pitt
Case Western
Northwestern
U Chicago
NYU
Sinai
UVA
BU
Yale
Duke
U Penn (you are in state, might as well try)
Darthmouth
Hofstra

Can't say much about other schools in that area since I'm not from the east coast. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user