cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.54, MCAT 510, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imani44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I'm having a hard time generating a school list for the upcoming cycle just because I feel like I'm not sure what places I'm competitive for. I am a senior, Georgia resident (taking gap year) and also African American (technically I'm biracial, half African American, half Danish American but I'm sure there is no spot for that on AMCAS).

Exercise and Sports Science Major
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.54
MCAT: 510

EC's
Worked as a shift leader at restaurant for 3 years
currently work as a patient care technician and unit secretary (cross-trained) for 2-3 years (2500+ hrs patient contact)
-worked 2 jobs for ~7 months
Director of Community outreach for FIMRC organization (3 years)
-went from 0 members to 40; super proud because we practically rebuilt this club from the ashes haha
Member of AMSA (3.5 years)
Member of alpha epsilon delta honor society (2 years)
Research (2 years)
Undergraduate Biology teaching assistant (1 year)
Clinical volunteer (30 hours)
Non-clinical Volunteering (100 hours)
Physician Shadowing (35 hours)

Other
Sweet Dreams Dance Company (1 year)
Obstacle Course racing like Spartan and rugged maniac

Note: I did get 1 C+ and a W my junior year. I was going through some personal family issues that semester that caused me to have to work 40-50 hours of night shift a week and class during the day. I realized a little too late that I just couldn't handle the rigorous course work, lack of sleep, along with my personal issues that semester. Also, I realize that I don't have a good amount of volunteering and shadowing hours, I work so much at the hospital directly with patients, doctors, and nurses that it was very hard for me to carve out time to volunteer and shadow. I am financially independent so there were only so many work hours I could sacrifice and still be able to pay all my bills. Don't know if this makes a difference but I plan on applying for the Navy HPSP alongside medical schools applications.

School List
Emory
MCG
Mercer
Morehouse
Utah
UCF
U of Miami
UNC
West Virginia
Tulane
LSU
Irvine
San Diego (Naval Station and possible residency is out here so would love to go here)
San Francisco

I don't really know whether I'm even competitive for these or what other schools I should be looking into. There aren't that many northern schools just because I literally have no idea where to start with those. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Consider adding these schools:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin