cGPA 3.71, sGPA 3.52, 34 MCAT, CA Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoc3432

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a California resident so I'll be applying to all the state schools and a very big number of private schools/schools that don't favor in-sate.

EC's

~20 hours shadowing in ER
~450 hours shadowing psychiatrist/teaching classes to schizophrenic veterans (I want to go into psychiatry)
~100 hours volunteering
~captain & president university club sports team
~published on a review, could be first author on another paper by the end of this year

Grades from sciences are most concerning. I went to a top 15, very hard pre-med school, but...
Calc II & III: A
Bio I & II: B
Chem I & II: B
Orgo I & II: B
Physics I & II: A
Stats: A
2 upper level Bio's:A

MCAT 12 physical, 11 verbal, 11 bio

Science GPA: 3.52, but 3.71 if you include some borderline science classes (including research in the Psych department called Independent Study...I don't know if those are included, anyone having an answer to that would really help!)

I should have 3 good recs and 1 good but not as good one.

Thanks a lot guys, any information would help a ton! Half the time I look around and feel like I'll be okay, but the other half I freak out and start thinking about what I would do if I didn't get in. I'll be applying June 2013. Thanks again I really really appreciate it!

My advice. Apply to as many schools as you can afford and you should land multiple acceptances to pick from. While I may complain about the money I spent from this interview season, I could not be happier with the outcome.

Thanks a lot Anthony, that is good to hear. I am definitely not looking forward to paying for all those applications, but I know it'll be worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again Anthony. I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone else has any word of advice.

I marked my research classes as BPCM and they were changed by the AAMC to not be included as part of your GPA at all. Sorry!

Hey, your application sounds a lot like mine...but your GPAs are higher! I think you should be great. Apply to CA schools and a mix of others. If you have free time, maybe some tutoring/more volunteering? But really, I wouldn't worry!

Don't just focus on Cali. Your states are fairly low, even for instate.

Don't just focus on Cali. Your states are fairly low, even for instate.

That's why he said "I'll be applying to all the state schools and a very big number of private schools/schools that don't favor in-sate."