DO cGPA 3.74 sGPA 3.64 MCAT 499 appreciate the help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

louminati

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA 3.74 sGPA 3.64 MCAT 499
Co-founder/executive boards of premed club and homeless food donation club
Honors society, presidents list
Loans, waited tables through college
200+ volunteer hours for homeless
ER physician & family medicine resident shadowing experience
1 publication biochemistry 50+ hours research experience
Solid letters
Gap year scribing in ER for clinical experience

Undergrad in Florida
Are there any schools I don't have a shot at? Be honest. I want to apply strategically but also get into good programs.
BCOM
LECOM seton hill
UIWSOM
Western U cali, oregon
FIU
FAU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I am going to have to stop at the MCAT part. Is this your first time taking the MCAT? If so, get that score up and then try. Don't be in a rush to get into a school without truly maximizing your potential. I have seen too many people like yourself with such a good GPA, end up in low end schools or SMPs when one simple retake could gave them a better chance at a better school.

cGPA 3.74 sGPA 3.64 MCAT 499
Co-founder/executive boards of premed club and homeless food donation club
Honors society, presidents list
Loans, waited tables through college
200+ volunteer hours for homeless
ER physician & family medicine resident shadowing experience
1 publication biochemistry 50+ hours research experience
Solid letters
Gap year scribing in ER for clinical experience

Undergrad in Florida
Are there any schools I don't have a shot at? Be honest. I want to apply strategically but also get into good programs.
BCOM
KYCOM
LECOM seton hill
UIWSOM
TUCOM all 3
Western U cali, wash
Rocky Vista
UNECOM
NYITCOM
FIU
FAU

Do you qualify for URM?? If not, I'd take out Rocky Vista for sure (they want really high MCATs), NYIT, all Touro's, UNE, and maybe KYCOM if you're not in their region.

You should add ACOM, CUSOM, any new schools like ARCOM, LMU-DCOM, VCOM, WesternU Oregon (WesternU is also a long shot, but you never know what they're thinking at the time; worth the shot).

Obviously a re-do would be in your best interest, but I say this: If you have the LOR's and everything else ready, apply and also study for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Florida is a lucky state for md admissions. Just retake the MCAT and go to a cheap state md school closer to home.

Reactions: 1 users
I looked at that MCAT confused...then realized theres a new scoring system now. One im not familiar with.

The ole' 45T business is old school already... I cant relate to these youngins' anymore lol.

My GPA was similar to yours ~3.7...i was fine for md and do with that. but the consensus seems to be to retake that mcat...so i would.

I looked at that MCAT confused...then realized theres a new scoring system now. One im not familiar with.

The ole' 45T business is old school already... I cant relate to these youngins' anymore lol.

My GPA was similar to yours ~3.7...i was fine for md and do with that. but the consensus seems to be to retake that mcat...so i would.

499 is one point under the new average of 500 so it would be equal to a 24 on the old MCAT.

To OP: I agree with everyone else. Retake your MCAT and aim for 505+ so you can be competitive at most DO schools. Getting around 510 would get you competitive for your all your instate MD's

499 is one point under the new average of 500 so it would be equal to a 24 on the old MCAT.

To OP: I agree with everyone else. Retake your MCAT and aim for 505+ so you can be competitive at most DO schools. Getting around 510 would get you competitive for your all your instate MD's

504-505 will get you and md in Florida as an in state resident with an otherwise good application. Which is kinda crazy since that would get a pre-interview rejection at a few DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user