Aug 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
What are my chances for a California school (CA resident)?

My cGPA is 3.82, sGPA 3.83. My MCAT score today was a 31O (12PS, 9VR, 10BS)

I'm going to be a senior at UCLA next year

-1.5 years of research and presented a poster at my college's undergraduate research symposium (also a post-doc did a poster presentation at a national conference which I was 3rd author on. Can I include this on my application because I did not present the poster myself?)

-2 years of volunteering at school's hospital

-3 year member of various clubs (2 does community service, rest has nothing to do with medical school and are just stuff that interests me)

-Regents scholarship (its supposed to be a prestigious scholarship at my school and because I have substantial financial needs its been paying for my schooling)

I really really want to stay in California but so do a million other kids. Should I study and sign up for the MCATs again late August/September? Aside from California schools, I was planning on applying to:

Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, Georgetown, St. Louis, and Loyola

Should I add more outside schools? I'm also submitting my primaries this week. Should I list a future MCAT date or risk it this year with my 31O?

Thank you for any advice and good luck to everyone applying this year :)

Last edited:

DaTruMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2008

-1.5 years of research and presented a poster at my college's undergraduate research symposium (also a post-doc did a poster presentation at a national conference which I was 3rd author on. Can I include this on my application because I did not present the poster myself?)

-Regents scholarship (its supposed to be a prestigious scholarship at my school and because I have substantial financial needs its been paying for my schooling)

Should I add more outside schools? I'm also submitting my primaries this week. Should I list a future MCAT date or risk it this year with my 31O?
First of all, congrats and that GPA and MCAT.

But you won't get into a Cali. school, IMO.

Third author of a presentation, not a publication? It might be worth a mention but I don't think it is anything to brag about.

Regents scholarship might be worth a mention but nothing to brag about either. Imagine a person who gets fairly good grades and is from a very low economic background that doesn't get financial support and have to live off loans and work. Which one do you think sounds better? Scholarships that you get because of your academic merit or services are better, IMO.

And please apply to more schools.

DaTruMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2008
Haha.

Okay, to the poster above, with this limited amount of information, I don't think anyone has any bearing to say that you won't get into a Cali school...that's horse crap.

Secondly, the Regents Scholarship is the highest MERIT scholarship available at a UC school, and getting it at UCLA is a BIG deal.

Finally, to Bruination, I'd add some more mid-tier out of state schools, which I think you'd have a great shot at acceptance. Like I said, the UC schools are by no means out of reach, but unfortunately they are very unpredictable. I say find a few more out of state schools you'd be happy at and throw them in.
Aren't Regents scholarships based on high school performance? Totally different ball game, IMO.

Oh and I was giving an opinion based on what information was available.

merryeller

smooth as eggs
Jul 1, 2009
Orange, CA
Status
Pre-Medical

-3 year member of various clubs (2 does community service, rest has nothing to do with medical school and are just stuff that interests me)

I really really want to stay in California but so do a million other kids. Should I study and sign up for the MCATs again late August/September? Aside from California schools, I was planning on applying to:

Don't count yourself out of UC schools just yet. I agree with the poster who said that UCs are very unpredictable - I know somebody who got an interview at UCSF with a 3.7-3.8 GPA and a 27 MCAT, didn't get accepted though. That said, I know another who with a 3.6-3.7 GPA and a 38 MCAT, no interview from any of the UCs. Nonetheless, both got accepted into very respectable, top 40 schools.

The best advice I could give you is to apply to more schools.

OP
B
Aug 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Yes Regents is based on high school events.

My lab submitted a manuscript to PNAS that I was 4th author on but its not something to write home about since I don't know if it will be accepted. Its been submitted twice now and they keep asking for more stuff and this time the stuff they want will take at least a few months to test. I'll probably mention in my research entry that there was a manuscript submitted.

I'm going to add the following schools too for now and will look through MSAR to see what other schools to add later:

Albany Medical College, East Virginia, George Washington, Howard, Michigan State, Northeastern, University of Louisville, and New York Medical College

I'm thinking about submitting my primaries to half the schools I plan on applying to right now, then sign up for an early September MCAT and sending in the other half of my application after I get those scores. Is this allowable or should I just say from the beginning that I'm going to take a September MCAT and have my whole application held up until October?

DaTruMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2008
I'm thinking about submitting my primaries to half the schools I plan on applying to right now, then sign up for an early September MCAT and sending in the other half of my application after I get those scores. Is this allowable or should I just say from the beginning that I'm going to take a September MCAT and have my whole application held up until October?
I'm not entirely sure but I heard that is late. I think your 31 is fine.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I think you have a decent shot a UCI/UCD/USC, and an outside shot at UCLA/UCSF.

Your ECs look fine; yes, list the coauthor presentation.

I wouldn't retake the MCAT unless you can guarantee a better score. If you take it and do worse it won't look good at all.

OP
B
Aug 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I can't guarantee a better score, but I was doing better on the AAMC exams than my actual exam. I think in 4 weeks time I can grind out a higher bio score, hopefully my verbal score will reflect my later AAMC test scores and go up at the very least a point, and PS stays around my average. Can I get by without reporting a future September MCAT date on my application and update all my schools with my scores later so my application is not held up?