cGPA 3.8 sGPA 3.7, MCAT 37 School List Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsraininbunnie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.8 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA, and a balanced 37 MCAT. I think my ECs and recommendation letters will be solid, but nothing extraordinary. I could use some advice on my school list, since I feel I'm a pretty standard candidate (solid numbers and clinical volunteering) without much setting me apart from others. I'm a New Hampshire resident so no state schools.

Here are the schools I have so far:

Dream schools:
Cornell
NYU
Albert Einstein
U Rochester
Penn State
University of Virginia
Tufts
Dartmouth
Boston University

Reaches:
University of Connecticut (Also heard UConn might prefer NH students)
University of Vermont (I've heard UVM might give preference for NH residents)
Loyola
Drexel
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush
Commonwealth Medical College
Oakland Beaumont
Jefferson
Temple
Wake Forest
George Washington
Brown
Keck
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Georgetown
Emory

Somewhat safer schools:
New York Medical College
Tulane
Hofstra
Virginia Tech
Albany
Western Michigan

As you can see, I have a really long list I need to pare down. Any input on any schools I should add or get rid of would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are strong, if your EC's are just a strong you can apply high. I would remove some of the lower tier schools since your stats are so high, they may assume you would jump ship for one of your other options thus wasting one of their limited interview slots.

I would also ditch the highly applied to schools other than BU since it's a dream school of yours and your stats are strong, you can apply to higher tier schools than the others that don't have nearly as many applicants each year. Also drop Brown due to their BS/MD program.

Be confident in yourself, you have excellent stats, you are highly competitive at all of your "dreams", and "overly" competitive at your "reaches"

I would cut Brown because 1/3 of their class comes from their own BS/MD program. I would cut Drexel and NYMC bc they may screen you out due to your high stats. I would consider cutting GW and GTown due to the volume of applications they get (unless you have compelling reasons for wanting to attend either)