Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MD cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.79, NYC Area

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by rover221, 05.12.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. rover221

rover221

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Reposted in the 'What are my chances' area.

-cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.79
    -MCAT will be taken on June 13
    -Volunteered over the summer at a free clinic aimed towards low-income Hispanic members of the community. Also did some shadowing there.
    -I have spent 70 hrs shadowing a neurosurgeon in his office in the OR.
    -Have been conducting equine genetic research for 10 months.

I am from NY and will be applying mainly to schools in the NYC area.

I will be submitting my application for verification in the beginning on June, but the MCAT scores won't be released until July 15.

What would be my chances if I got about a 32 on the MCAT?

Last edited: 05.12.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. rover221

rover221

-cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.79
    -MCAT will be taken on June 13
    -Volunteered over the summer at a free clinic aimed towards low-income Hispanic members of the community. Also did some shadowing there.
    -I have spent 70 hrs shadowing a neurosurgeon in his office in the OR.
    -100 hours volunteering at local hospital.
    -Have been conducting equine genetic research for 10 months.
    -Not an URM

I am from NY and will be applying mainly to schools in the NYC area, including the SUNYs.

I will be submitting my application for verification in the beginning on June, but the MCAT scores won't be released until July 15.

What would be my chances if I got about a 32 on the MCAT?

Last edited: 05.12.14
  4. lmn

lmn 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Pretty weak EC's honestly, you will need a strong MCAT to be being in consideration at many NYC schools, and even then your lack of EC's may limit your opportunities. I would look to broaden where you are looking at for schools if at all possible.

5. J Senpai

J Senpai Grab my arm. Other arm. MY other arm. 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There isn't much that can be said until you have an MCAT score in hand, and there is no way to tell if you will do well on the exam, or not. A 32 is a pretty tall order. Your GPAs are great, though; ~0.2 points above average for matriculants, from what I know. Your research is fine.
    However, your volunteering is very weak. You don't seem to have any long term experience working at a specific venue. A minimum of 6 months is generally considered the safe zone by some of our more experienced posters, here. Additionally, you have only shadowed a neurosurgeon for any appreciable period of time, and 70 hours is a bit overkill, actually. I recommend finding a primary care provider to shadow, so that you are able to understand what they do. You need to find a long term clinical volunteering or work setting, and a long term non clinical volunteering opportunity where you serve your community.

Some other things that you need on your application include your hobbies and interests. What do you like to do for fun? We really need more information about you before we can help you further. If I was incorrect in any assumptions, please correct me.

@Catalystik , @LizzyM and @Goro may be able to provide more insight.

Technically, this needs to be moved, but I want you to get some help.

6. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Come back when you have your MCAT score.

7. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    I agree with the concerns expressed by the two posters above about your ECs. What about Leadership, Teaching (TA, tutor, coach, mentor), nonmedical community service, Posters/Presentations. Or maybe you didn't paint a complete picture.

8. Ismet

Ismet PGY-fun SDN Administrator 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Merging duplicate threads. Please don't cross-post.

9. rover221

rover221

Sorry for that I'm new.

I did shadow a primary care doctor for 20 hours.
    I also work as a web designer/computer consultant, especially helping seniors learn how to use a computer.

10. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Verified
    Faculty
    Going strictly by the numbers and hoping for your sake that the 32 MCAT is realized, I'd say that you might have a shot at the SUNY schools, NYMC, Vermont, Drexel and Jefferson, Virginia Commonwealth, Eastern Virginia.... maybe Quinnepeac (I can't even spell it), that new school in Pennsylvania that is aimed at training primary care providers.

How much volunteer time helping senior citizens. That's a good thing to play up if it was > 6 months and/or >100 hours.

About the ads