• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Lollerask

2+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello, first time posting. Need advice on school list and next steps to go from here. Here are my stats:

UF undergrad with Biochemistry major, Florida resident, Asian, 1st generation in US in my family
cGPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.80
MCAT: Total 508 (Chem: 130, CARS: 123 (ouch), Bio: 128, P/S: 127) (Taken in July 2015)

I have taken my last MCAT three years ago, with verbal at 6 and retake at 8. Three years later, remaining sections improved this MCAT. I graduated from UF in August 2012, and took up paramedic full-time. I understand my CARS is extremely terrible, but I still want to push for MD and DO schools this cycle. I really hope to not retake the MCAT if possible.

Experience:
-1+ years as ER tech at a hospital as a paramedic (current full time position)
-2 years as an EMT-Basic (Ambulance)
-2 years of Paramedic fire/clinical externships
-Shadowed ER doctor (about 20 hrs total)
-2.5 years of clinical research with poster presentation at a conference (first author), multiple research projects and leadership experience working in a professional group, no manuscript or publications. Also served as nutritional consultants under the PI to pediatric patients (our research population)(patient interaction).
-Shadowed Cardiology doctor (about 50 hrs total)
-Volunteered at hospital's outpatient clinic (1 year)

MD School list: (All 7 state [FL] schools)
UF
USF
FSU
FIU
FAU
UCF
UM
Albany (NY)
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Eastern Virginia
Rush
Commonwealth (Penn.)
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia

DO School list:
LECOM Brandenton
NOVA
CUSOM
ACOM
RVUCOM
Rowan SOM
PCOM
All three Edward Via Colleges
William Carey
ATSU-SOMA
GA-PCOM
LECOM Lake Erie

I know it's a stretch given this is my 3rd time applying, took a gap year after the 2nd time for three years. Additionally, my CARS may not make it pass the screening, and I would like to know which schools should be taken off the list or added on based on my verbal. Also, any advice on the above schools are appreciated. I have strong LoRs. I completed my primaries for both MD and DO, and about to submit all my secondaries (MD only) by the end of August. DO secondaries have yet to come due to my July MCAT. I will do my best to answer any other questions. Thank you.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You should be competitive for most DO schools with your GPA and MCAT. For MD consider adding these schools:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
St. Louis
Tulane
California Northstate

Reactions: Lollerask

Lollerask

2+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
You should be competitive for most DO schools with your GPA and MCAT. For MD consider adding these schools:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
St. Louis
Tulane
California Northstate
Thank you, anyone know about DO schools? Especially concerning DO LoR?

About the Ads

Goro

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
OP, I concur with your list and Faha's with the exception of CNU.

Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
St. Louis
Tulane
California Northstate

Lollerask

2+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
OP, I concur with your list and Faha's with the exception of CNU.
Thank you Goro. I have a question though. Considering my weak CARS, what are your thoughts on my chances with MD (and DO) compared to my other stats?

Goro

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
The VR is going to hurt, but somebody has to be in the < 10th %ile for a school! Your best MD chances will be with the FL schools, naturally.

Reactions: Lollerask
About the Ads