cGPA 3.89, MCAT 517, mediocre ECs -- WAMC/School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

=mouse=

Reaction score
Hey y'all, looking for help building my school list. I made a school list pretty much based off my stats and schools I read to have a good percentage of OOS matriculants, but I feel that my ECs are lacking and am asking for advice. For context I am a ORM (Chinese), first time applicant, immigrant, first generation college student, and low SES.

• cGPA 3.89, sGPA3.95
  • MCAT 517 (129/130/128/130)
  • MI resident & MSU graduate 23'
  • Clinical Experience:
    • About 700 hours of paid clinical experience working as a scribe in an outpatient cardiology clinic, should have a strong LOR from here.
  • Research Experience: None
  • No recent shadowing
    • I did a health sciences program in my senior year of high school where we went through difference clinical rotations where we shadowed/observed physicians, hesitant to add this to experiences though as this did occur in during high school.
  • Non-Clinical volunteering:
    • 75 hours of recent volunteering with the local Food Gatherers in the community kitchen and food warehouse. Another 25 hours during senior of year of high school with the same org, not sure if I should include this.
    • Miscellaneous volunteering here and there throughout senior of high school and through out college mostly through classes and professors requesting volunteers for various activities such as going to elementary schools to help with educational events.
    • Went on a volunteering road trip activity through the university that consisted of travelling from state to state on bus and doing various volunteering activities including helping organizing fundraisers and cleaning up parks and beaches.
  • Other:
    • Worked summers and during one school year in food service (local restaurant and school cafeteria respectively), would have to check on the hours if it matters.
    • I speak Mandarin at home and I would say I sound native but have a limited working vocabulary. I cannot read or write (in Mandarin).
    • I did training and became licensed as an EMT. I never worked due to not having driving experience, didn't think about it at the time lol. I did not have a car until I was 22, about a year and half after I got my EMT license and never ended up putting my license to use. I did have some meaningful experiences while training though including the opportunity to perform live CPR and communicating with and assisting an elderly Chinese patient while completing my clinical training.
Here is the school list that I have come up with:

University of Michigan
Wayne State
Michigan State
Oakland
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
University of Toledo
NEOMED
University of Wisconsin
Northwestern-Feinberg
Chicago Pritzker
University of Illinois
Chicago Franklin
Albert Einstein
University of Rochester
Saint Louis University
Tufts
UCLA
University of Iowa

I only have schools listed that don't require CASper as I took the PREview.

Members don't see this ad.

Include your high school shadowing hours since you have no other shadowing. Your low non clinical volunteering hours and no research will limit your chances for interviews at top tier schools and schools that expect high service to others hours. I suggest these schools with your stats:
University of Michigan
Wayne State
Michigan State
Oakland
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
University of Toledo
University of Wisconsin
Northwestern-Feinberg
University of Illinois
Chicago Franklin
Albert Einstein
University of Rochester
Tufts
University of Iowa
TCU
NOVA MD
Belmont
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 user
I noticed that from my list you did not include UCLA or NEOMED. I understand that my chances are probably limited for UCLA, but in regards to NEOMED, from my understanding my stats and ECs should be sufficient and their OOS matriculant rate is not too low so I'm a little confused about this.

Otherwise thank you very much for the suggestions. I will be adding NOVA, Belmont, Wake Forest, Eastern Virginia, George Washington, Jefferson, Mount Sinai, and Albany.

Include your high school shadowing hours since you have no other shadowing. Your low non clinical volunteering hours and no research will limit your chances for interviews at top tier schools and schools that expect high service to others hours. I suggest these schools with your stats:
University of Michigan
Wayne State
Michigan State
Oakland
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
University of Toledo
University of Wisconsin
Northwestern-Feinberg
University of Illinois
Chicago Franklin
Albert Einstein
University of Rochester
Tufts
University of Iowa
TCU
NOVA MD
Belmont
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Hofstra
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Members don't see this ad :)
On another note, could anyone comment on whether it may be beneficial to my application to delay my primary application in attempt to increase my volunteer hours to the recommended 150 hour cutoff. I am a regular volunteer at the community kitchen and am pre-registered for the same shifts for the next year, and I'm thinking I might be able to request additional shifts.

I noticed that from my list you did not include UCLA or NEOMED. I understand that my chances are probably limited for UCLA, but in regards to NEOMED, from my understanding my stats and ECs should be sufficient and their OOS matriculant rate is not too low so I'm a little confused about this.

Otherwise thank you very much for the suggestions. I will be adding NOVA, Belmont, Wake Forest, Eastern Virginia, George Washington, Jefferson, Mount Sinai, and Albany.
NEOMED is a state public school. The majority of non residents admitted have a connection to Ohio (attended undergraduate or graduate school in Ohio, former residents, URM, etc.)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for elaborating, it seems the stats I read were misleading.
NEOMED is a state public school. The majority of non residents admitted have a connection to Ohio (attended undergraduate or graduate school in Ohio, former residents, URM, etc.)