annieka88

applicant
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys, I'm still working on my personal statement and hopefully will submit the AMCAS early or mid-August. Hopefully this won't be too late..? I have a tentative list of schools I'm thinking about applying to, and need some advice. Please help!:scared:

I'm an Arkansas resident and go to a small liberal arts college called Hendrix College.
Here are my stats:

major:Biochem/Molecular Bio
cGPA 3.958
sGPA 4.0
MCAT 34M

ECs:

volunteered at a free clinic since Jan. (~3hrs/week.. ~80hrs)
researched last summer at Vandy and last school year + this summer at Hendrix College
shadowed at Vandy med center for (~60hrs)
lab assistant 3 semesters (biochem, genetics)
officer of premed club (pres. this yr) for 2 yrs
officer of Biochem club for 2 yrs

List of schools I'm applying to (tentative):

applying for sure:
UAMS
Vanderbilt (first choice)
WashU
Columbia
Baylor
Yale
UCSF
Boston U

need help on these...keep or not? suggestions?:
Mt. Sinai
U of Washington
U of Iowa
Ohio State
Wake Forest
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana U
MC Wisconsin
Drexel
EVMS

I know I have all the top schools in my "for sure" list except for my state school, and this is because I'm not sure which schools may be safety or reach schools for me. Also, would it be worth it for me to apply to UT Southwestern(since I'd have to fill out the TMDAS just for it)? If you have any suggestions or see any changes you think I should make, please let me know! Thanks a lot!:)

also, the LORs don't need to be submitted with the AMCAS right? just making sure..

Last edited:

amakhosidlo

Accepted
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Unless you're applying MSTP or are URM, nix UW. Good school, but nearly impossible to get into OOS (not in WWAMI)

OP
A

annieka88

applicant
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the advice!
I'm Korean. would I be considered an URM?

More suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!:)

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, I'm still working on my personal statement and hopefully will submit the AMCAS early or mid-August. Hopefully this won't be too late..? I have a tentative list of schools I'm thinking about applying to, and need some advice. Please help!:scared:
Apply as soon as possible. Sending the primary in mid August would mean you won't be complete til late September most likely. This is heading into the 'late' category. But, lucky for you, you have a good, well-rounded application, so I expect you will survive the negative impact of a late application.

List of schools I'm applying to (tentative):

applying for sure:
UAMS
Vanderbilt (first choice)
WashU
Columbia
Baylor
Yale
UCSF
Boston U

need help on these...keep or not? suggestions?:
Mt. Sinai
U of Washington
U of Iowa
Ohio State
Wake Forest
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana U
MC Wisconsin
Drexel
EVMS
I would drop all 3 of those - same reason: they really prefer state residents. I would consider Temple, Jefferson, GWU, Georgetown, and VCU as schools to add.

I know I have all the top schools in my "for sure" list except for my state school, and this is because I'm not sure which schools may be safety or reach schools for me.
WashU, Columbia, Baylor, Yale, UCSF would all be reach schools for you - but then again, they are reach schools for just about anyone.

Also, would it be worth it for me to apply to UT Southwestern(since I'd have to fill out the TMDAS just for it)?
No.

also, the LORs don't need to be submitted with the AMCAS right? just making sure..
No, the LORs are generally sent by your undergraduate institution to AMCAS, and will be sent whenever they are ready, independent of when you submit the primary.

OP
A

annieka88

applicant
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm almost done with my personal statement and hopefully will be submitting the AMCAS very soon in early August. Hopefully that won't be TOO late. I will def remove the three schools and add some or all of the schools you suggested. Fortunately my LORs were actually done and uploaded to VE today. So, I just need to step it up and submit the primary! Thanks for the helpful and detailed inputs!

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm almost done with my personal statement and hopefully will be submitting the AMCAS very soon in early August. Hopefully that won't be TOO late. I will def remove the three schools and add some or all of the schools you suggested. Fortunately my LORs were actually done and uploaded to VE today. So, I just need to step it up and submit the primary! Thanks for the helpful and detailed inputs!
Yup, stay on the ball - the earlier the better! Good luck!