cGPA 3.96, sGPA 3.98, MCAT 523, but no research. School list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mooseforkicks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.96
sGPA: 3.98
MCAT: 523 (129/132/130/132)

Colorado resident, non-URM. Graduated several years ago from a mid-tier state flagship school

1200+ hours as a CNA on an inpatient hospital floor
40 hours shadowing (mix of psychiatry, ENT, family medicine)

1700 hours as a Corps Member in an AmeriCorps program
1000 hours as a Team Leader in an AmeriCorps program
50 hours as a mentor/tutor for at-risk children in my college community
100 hours volunteering at a mixture of other organizations (Habitat for Humanity, Red Cross, Matthew 25, St Bernard Project, Girls on the Run, etc.)

No research experience

Study abroad experience

Awards: Congressional Award Bronze Medal, President’s Volunteer Service Award, Dean’s List, summa cum laude

I’m concerned that a lot of schools I’m competitive at stats-wise may discount me because I do not have research experience. Is this a serious concern?

I’d like to apply to about 20 schools. Is this list balanced (I’m worried it’s too top-heavy)?

School List:

U Colorado
UNLV (close family connection—I’m considered a resident for admission)
Vanderbilt
U Penn
Northwestern
Pitt
Columbia
Chicago (Pritzker)
NYU
U Michigan
Cornell
U Virginia
Mt Sinai
USC Keck
Dartmouth
Emory
Ohio State
Mayo
U Cincinnati
Temple
Tulane
WashU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great stats, but this is not a very good list for someone with your app... your odds on Colorado are pretty good since you're a resident, but pretty much every school you listed except Temple and Tulane are extremely research oriented and place great emphasis on research wrt med apps. I'm graduating from NYU med this year and I have quite a few friends at several of the med schools you've named, every single one has at least one publication. I'm not saying don't apply to them, but definitely add some of the less research oriented schools as well to avoid disappointment

Yeah, I guess I’m just concerned because a lot of schools that are less research oriented also have much lower median stats than I have. For both Tulane and Temple, for instance, my MCAT is well above their 90th percentile. Will many schools like this be interested in interviewing me, or will they assume I’ll go somewhere else more highly ranked?

I do realize my lack of research experience is definitely not ideal, but I was hoping that my clinical and volunteering ECs would be above-average and help make up for that. I’m don’t need to get into a T20 to be happy, but I’ve seen anecdotal evidence that sometimes people with high stats struggle to get acceptances from out of state mid-tier schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are awesome and you have major strengths in terms of clinical experience as a CNA and also service and leadership through AmeriCorps. This could make up for the lack of research at some of the schools on your list. I go to Mayo and while most of my classmates did research before med school, I know some who did not and like yourself brought other things to the table. So while the top tier schools are research heavy they won't necessarily discount you. Take this with a grain of salt because it is anecdotal but if you are really looking for schools to cut, I have heard that WashU and Pitt are particularly research heavy. You could add Hofstra since they will like your MCAT and don't seem as research heavy. Creighton is another school to consider since I have heard they emphasize clinical experience.

Yeah, I guess I’m just concerned because a lot of schools that are less research oriented also have much lower median stats than I have. For both Tulane and Temple, for instance, my MCAT is well above their 90th percentile. Will many schools like this be interested in interviewing me, or will they assume I’ll go somewhere else more highly ranked?

I do realize my lack of research experience is definitely not ideal, but I was hoping that my clinical and volunteering ECs would be above-average and help make up for that. I’m don’t need to get into a T20 to be happy, but I’ve seen anecdotal evidence that sometimes people with high stats struggle to get acceptances from out of state mid-tier schools.

ehhh it's a grey area and it operates on a case by case basis... I had very similar stats (except my MCAT was out of 45, not 528)... I got into a few schools in the top 20, and I also got into some schools like Drexel and Miami, but other schools in that league like Jefferson and Kimmel didn't even shoot me an II... you'll be able to get into something like a Wake Forest or a Temple for sure

So I revised my school list a little. Does anyone else have more feedback? Is this still too top-heavy?

Colorado
U Penn
Northwestern
Columbia
NYU
Michigan
Cornell
U Virginia
Mt Sinai
USC Keck
Dartmouth
Emory
Ohio State
Mayo
Cincinnati
Temple
Tulane
Miami
Wake
Hofstra
Creighton

So I revised my school list a little. Does anyone else have more feedback? Is this still too top-heavy?

Colorado
U Penn
Northwestern
Columbia
NYU
Michigan
Cornell
U Virginia
Mt Sinai
USC Keck
Dartmouth
Emory
Ohio State
Mayo
Cincinnati
Temple
Tulane
Miami
Wake
Hofstra
Creighton

Don't think it's too top heavy, but I would add a few more schools in the #30-50 range... stuff like Wake Forest, Iowa, etc

I don't think that the top schools are out for you. Obviously research is not the focus of your application. I do think you shold take great care and craft an application including a very clear "focus" or "hook" which could be service to others/Americorps, or could be linked to your CNA/healthcare experience which not many have.

You could also use the WARS system developed by @WedgeDawg to help you list reach, middle and "safety" schools (although there really aren't safety schools).

I'm sure that while some of the top 10s admit few without research, you fit the profile of someone who would be one of those who would be an exception. You're not a 4.0/528 automaton.

Check the MSAR for percentages of schools admits that don't have research. For example, I know Ohio State likes high MCAT and has accepted people without any research.

Last edited: